Systemic Societal Structure

Systemic Issues Require More than Simple Solutions

Again and again, volunteers come into foreign countries with the mindset that they will be able to make major changes within the community they are helping through various simple projects. However, the problems these “white saviors” are trying to alleviate are often rooted in centuries-old systemic and cultural factors. This misconception is both frustrating to the volunteers and the citizens of the country receiving aid.

Volunteers can help to fix an effect of poverty, but that solution will only be short-term because another effect will soon surface. The only way to create lasting change is to tackle the cause of poverty, which is deeply rooted in culture, behavior and thinking. It takes a serious amount of time and effort to just understand the cultural and societal structures of foreign countries, which is only the first step to solving systemic issues in the long run. This process takes a lot of time — therefore, in order to achieve long-term effects there must be long-term preparation and action.

Please watch the video we made addressing these concerns!

References:

A Path Appears

TOMS Shoes

3 thoughts on “Systemic Societal Structure”

1. Great video! But when you write that “the cause of poverty… is deeply rooted in culture, behavior and thinking,” does that mean culture causes poverty? Are there other structural issues (political, economic) that might be more important?

2. I really enjoyed the video. I thought that it broke down the issue and made it very easy to understand. The video allowed for me to reflect on what we talked about throughout the semester in a creative way.

3. I think the video is a great aspect because of how it explains the topic step by step. Sometimes it’s more helpful to get a visual aspect as someone talks than just reading text off of a page and I think that it was also very fun to watch. You included many of the topics covered this year and it was cool to see them unfold in the video.