Blog Post #5

List ten things that make you human

1. The mistakes I make
    1. These mistakes I make allow me to learn. It teaches me that I am not perfect. These mistakes teach me that I am responsible for everything I do in life and if I were to make a mistake it is something I have to take responsibility for it.
  2. That I do not know everything
    1. No one knows everything about the World. I have to be open to others to learn about the World and about things I have never known.
  3. My ability to forgive
    1. In life I have been through many instances where I have been wronged. In these instances I wanted to stay mad at them but I knew I had to forgive them. Once I was able to forgive it would feel like a weight was lifted off my shoulders.
  4. My constant need for attention
    1. All humans crave attention and in order to receive attention I need to do something so people are able to notice me. This then pushes me to do things that I would never do. It brings me opportunities that allow me to better myself as a person and the World.
  5. My problem solving skills
    1. My brain works in a way when I am faced with a problem of how am I able to fix this and if I were able to fix it what would be the effects of that
  6. Constantly asking why
    1. Humans are naturally curious and I am similar in this way. When observing the World I constantly ask why. Why does this machine work the way it does? Why do certain people interact this way? Why are we able to do these things but not others.
  7.  My senses
    1. The ability for me to smell, see, taste touch and listen all allow me be to be human. They allow me to be immersed in the world and fully understand what is happening. It allows me to notice things that others may not be able to observe.
  8. My ability to imagine
    1. It allows me to think more about what I am just seeing. I am able to look deeper into things and form my own thoughts from this imagination. I would be able to make connections to things.
  9. My insecurities
    1. My insecurities could be thought of as my weakness. Everyone has weaknesses and they are considered the downfalls of them. However I embraces them and can better myself from them. It humbles me as a person and teaches me that I am not perfect.
  10. My values
    1. Everyone has different values. Their values sometime dictates how a person reacts to things in their life. It pushes them to find their true passions or what they want to do in life. My values shape me into the person I am today.

Articulate to your philosophy of engagement as it pertains to your work with the GSIF

I want to engage because I care about this topic because it is something that is personal to me. I want to work within the medical field and this project helps me learn more about it. It also allows me to empower women, especially being a woman of color. This project allows me to work with women who are of color that are not being correctly treated by the medical field. In order to engage I have to work with the different clinics and doctors in the area. I also have to work with the mothers and navigate around the cultural aspects of it. I sit also work with the students from the Philippines so that we will be able to work efficiently and effectively. When talking to these people I must be aware that I am not here to change anything but improve it. I can not put my values or ideals on to it but work alongside them. My epitaph would read “Here lies Michelle Hu a mother, daughter, Physician whose left he mark on the World.”