End of Semester: Self Reflection

This semester, I studied the Syrian Refugee Crisis in depth and learned about the cause of the refugee crisis, the problems within the refugee crisis, and specifically studied the problems of medical care for refugees and ways in which the issue can be reformed. Although I had background knowledge on the issue prior to starting my research journey, I now know far more information than I did before. For example, I researched the cause of the crisis and the details of the Syrian Civil War.

Beyond learning the material itself, I gained a lot of experience with conducting research. I learned a lot about primary versus secondary sources, and finding credible sources for my research. I also gained interviewing skills such as proposing thoughtful questions that would help with my research. I also believe that my writing skills have improved through the two papers written this semester. I felt much more confident with the research paper after writing the definition essay, and I feel that developing a strong and concise thesis was not as difficult the second time.

Overall, I enjoyed the structure of this course and how it was centered around research and argument. I enjoyed studying one specific topic the entire semester and going more and more in detail about the issue as I learned more.

Sarah Alvi