Starting in Fall 2017, graduate students from the English Department’s Literature and Social Justice program organized Tackling T.I.N.A. as a reading group that aims to broaden participants understanding of economic justice and prepares readers to imagine more equitable alternatives to capitalism. Over the course of the semester, Tackling T.I.N.A. reached over two dozen Lehigh students, introducing participants to an assortment of theory and literature to better understand capitalist structures of power and its many systems of economic and cultural domination.

Staying true to Lehigh English department’s focus on literature and social justice, Tackling T.I.N.A using literature, storytelling, and theory to envision social change we hope to see in the world around us and develop practical approaches to enacting that change.

Tackling T.I.N.A. takes its name from one of the most prominent myths about contemporary capitalism: “There Is No Alternative” (T.I.N.A.). As a powerful controlling image, this proposition stifles efforts to organize against economic injustice by directly the public imagination away from non-capitalist models of management, organization, and distribution. Tackling T.I.N.A. challenges this narrative by recognizing the complex and hybrid structure of today’s economies and identifying the many economic alternatives already practiced here and now.

We hope you will join us in this important undertaking. Check out the different ways you can get involved in this project, explore our reading archives, or contact us to learn. We will meet three times throughout Spring 2018 where together we will imagine a world beyond capitalism.

Co-Organizers