Jimmy Littley’s Blog Post #2: Week Ending June 3, 2023

This week in professor Gupta’s class we talked about ethics and the structure of corporations. I really enjoyed the class about ethics because we debated real world scenarios in front of the class. There were two articles and two teams debated topics on each article. I debated with another team over an article about whether it is ethical for banks to collect interest on home mortgages. We were debating an article that we had never read before so we were basically debating a headline and what we knew about the topic previously. This made the Debate very interesting and engaging because we needed to think of arguments before we actually read the arguments that were being proposed in the article. I also enjoyed our class on the structure of corporations. We learned about corporate governance and how it helps both the shareholders and stakeholders of a company. Professor Gupta related this topic to real-world situations, which made the class much more engaging. 

My internship at Gen-USA has started to ramp up and it has been very interesting so far. Before Sam, Kat and I embark on our 15 minute walk to our office we stop for breakfast each morning. We constantly try to order fully in Italian and it occasionally works. When we get to our office building we sit with three other IES interns from different schools. So far I have worked on some Excel projects and a market research project. My favorite part about my internship thus far is our lunch breaks. My boss takes all 6 IES interns out to lunch most days and we spend an hour to an hour and a half eating lunch and talking about our cultural differences. We all have questions to ask him about Milan and he asks each of us questions about the United States as well. Lunch breaks are very important in Milan and I am glad I am able to spend them with my fellow interns and my boss.

This past Sunday I and some other Lehigh students took a 6:10 AM train to Monterosso in the Cinque Terre string of villages. This was an early morning for all of us as we left our rooms at about 5AM. The time difference was in full display when we were walking to the train station as I was able to catch the end of the Celtics and Heat game 6 matchup. Many of my home friends were still awake watching this game and I already got a full night’s sleep and was starting my day. This trip was unbelievable and provided me with breathtaking views of the Mediterranean Sea and coast. This past Friday Lehigh in Milan took a day trip to Verona, which was also stunning. The ancient architecture and details in the city were truly amazing. We had a guided tour of the city center and of the Verona Arena. After walking to the top section in the arena I led the group in singing “Love Story” by Taylor Swift as Verona is the setting of Romeo and Juliet.    

My view from the street in Monterosso

Me, Kat (middle) and Sam (left) during our first day at Gen-USA

The balcony from Romeo and Juliet in Verona