Emily Sofio’s Blog Post: Week Ending June 10

This week in class, we watched a documentary titled, “The Corporation” on Monday, and discussed some of the topics within the film. The documentary showed evidence that corporations could be labeled as psychopaths based on the DSM-5 criteria. The documentary mentioned many instances in which corporations had abused all forms of life, from the air we breathe to the water we use, to the people themselves. I found it interesting that these companies supported and funded the film’s production while knowing they were being slandered in the process. On Wednesday, we debated several topics from the Wall Street Journal. For example, Tiffany Chen’s article on the inflation reduction act and drug negotiation program allowed the class to debate whether companies should be allowed to set a price on the drugs they produce.

During this week at my internship, I recorded a voice-over for a video overview of my organization. On Friday, I was given my first real project in the company. Alice for Children is starting a new program. They are opening a secondary school (high school) in Dandora with a specialty training program in digital learning. I’m very excited to see how I can help them improve this project within the next couple of weeks. I was also given the opportunity to view photos and videos taken from the all-female soccer club in Nairobi, created by AC Milan and Puma. I got to see the girls playing in cleats, socks, and other equipment I packed myself a couple weeks prior.

This week in Italy, I had the opportunity to travel. Last Sunday, I took a trip to Venice and went on a gondola ride. That night, I went straight from the train station to an AC Milan game! I got to experience an amazing game, and Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s retirement ceremony. This Friday I went to a cooking class where I learned how to make traditional Neapolitan pizza and homemade vanilla gelato. Not to brag, but the pizza I made was the best pizza I’ve had so far. This Saturday the class got to travel to the Alps. We went on a super fun ropes course, and I swam in Lake D’arpy (it was freezing).

One of my favorite pics from Venice!
Lunch with a view!
Go AC Milan!!
Professional pizza made by me!