Jennifer Beattie’s Blog Post #1: April 1st, 2024

As we have started preparing for our trip to Milan this summer and talking more about the classes we will be taking and things we will be doing, I have been thinking about my expectations for this program! My expectations for the Corporate Social Responsibility class we will be taking with Dr. Gupta are to learn more about how to keep up with current events and also more importantly to learn about what goes into a company and how important it is to companies to have a social responsibility. I am intrigued to learn what it means for a company to be socially responsible and what a company does to be less/more socially responsible.

My expectations for the internship seminar are to learn how to be successful when preparing for all things internship. From submitting applications and completing potential HireVue’s as they are becoming more popular, to having what you need to get that first interview and be successful through the process. I am looking forward to learning how to prepare for specific interviews and how to navigate the process of securing an internship in the future. For my major, a lot of internship applications have already come out and people are already applying and doing interviews, I am excited to take this class because I don’t fully know what makes an interview successful vs unsuccessful and what a company is looking for in your resume and interviews.

The actual internship that I will have in Milan, I don’t know what to expect as I’ve never had an internship before especially not in another country. But I expect that my internship experience will provide me with experience that I can use in my everyday life, but also that it will teach me skills that cannot be taught in the classroom, such as when you are faced with real issues not just in-class examples. I am also looking forward to getting experience in a corporate and more professional setting and learning how to navigate working for a company and everything that goes along with that. I am looking forward to this internship as a great learning experience to help prepare me for future internships.

Lastly, my expectations for being in Milan are that I fully immerse myself and learn as much about their culture as I possibly can. I want to learn about their language, their customs, and what they do that maybe could benefit me and I could take into my own life. As a person who loves to travel, I am also expecting to travel a fair amount on the weekends, whether it be with the group, with a few members of the group, or maybe with one other person, I truly want to make the most out of this experience and see and do all that I can do in the short two months that we are there. I am planning to do every trip the group is doing but I also want to do even more then that and explore neighboring countries and cities that I haven’t been to before and learn so much about every culture I immerse myself into.