Charlie Petro Blog Post #3: Week Ending June 2, 2024

I’ve noticed that Italy is very different from the United States since arriving. As it relates to CSR I’ve examined the way different companies operate in my short time here. I feel that the work-life balance is very different in Italy, and these companies give their employees much more free time, with breaks included in their contracts for lunch. I feel that this is very different from America, as these companies seem to care about their employees more, treating them as more than just another cog in the machine. I’ve also examined the amount of smokers here in Italy, which certainly cannot be good for the environment for health of their citizens. There are pictures on every pack of cigarettes, depicting sick patients or even babies to try and deter people from smoking, but this is obviously not working. This can be noticed on the countless butts left on the ground, and the fact that at every corner there is always someone smoking, no matter the time of day. It leaves me wondering what other efforts Italy takes to decrease this smoking problem, though I doubt it is as much of an issue as it is in the United States.

After my first class of the internship seminar, I have been putting more and more of what I have learned into practice. I frequently ask questions, making sure to complete my task efficiently and correctly, as sometime instructions are vague. I also noticed there is an emphasis on getting to know your coworkers, as Professor Swain said. I have talked to my coworkers more and more each day, learning more about their personal lives just by sparking conversation during work. It is a different environment than the US, and they are open to talk during work hours, even when they have their own things to do. Work and conversation can exist together, when done the right way. Finally, I would feel shameful if I didn’t bring up the coffee as we learned about in class. It is an essential part of our work day, as Professor Swain made sure to point out. I never deny it, even if I do not want it, as I feel it would be disrespectful to both them and their culture.

This week at my internship, we made a video that posted on the instagram of the company to show a photography studio that our company has up for rent. It was an interesting experience, as I have never made anything like it before. I found myself enjoying the process, feeling like I actually was contributing to a big part of the company. Our video was made so that English renters have something to go of when browsing for properties. The video was one of the most viewed ever on their page, gaining over 1,000 views in a day. We even found out that after rewriting  one of their descriptions in English for a post, they toured 3 new clients for the property. It feels good that I know I am helping this company grow, and I feel as if the other interns and I are actually making a change at the small branch of Tempocasa.

I have been acclimating more and more to the Italian Culture everyday as well. I find myself ordering in Italian after our bootcamp, and can even pick up on some of their language during conversation. It is fun to introduce myself to people I meet, learning about their roots and what to do while I am here in Italy. They almost always guess I am from America, which sometimes does make me realize I am not blending in just yet. Maybe I never will, but at least I learned no more shorts, and definitely no flip flops. This weekend, we went on a hike to the Alps, and I must say the views were truly breathtaking. Since it has been raining, the path up to the lake at the top was covered and hard to pass, but a group of us decided to go for it. It was a very sketchy walk, but we made it to the top, with one of the most rewarding scenes I have ever seen. The lake was frozen over in some places, but this didn’t stop me from jumping in. How often do you get the opportunity to swim at the top of a mountain? Even if it was for thirty seconds, I will remember it for the rest of my life. I find myself taking more risks like that here in Italy, doing things I normally wouldn’t do. Being spontaneous is the true essence of making memories, and I do my best to try something new everyday in order to make this an experience I won’t forget.

TempoCasa Squad in action
Post Polar Plunge
Admiring the Architecture
Nice View of the Alps