Evelyn Emmon’s Blog Post #4: June 9, 2024

This week in the CSR course, we discussed a Wall Street Journal post regarding Planet Fitness’s decision to uphold their policy allowing members to use the male or female bathroom based on their gender identity. This decision was highlighted after a video involving a transgender individual sparked significant debate. It was intriguing to consider how I would want the company to proceed if I were a shareholder, weighing the importance of profit maximization and stock value against the values and inclusivity of its clients. This discussion made me reflect on my purchasing habits and what values are important to me. For example, I consciously avoid supporting companies like Shein, which produce fast fashion and create massive textile waste. However, in other cases, such as buying water bottles or daily necessities, I often don’t research the company’s ethics.

In Professor Swain’s class, we read and debated “The Parable of the Sadhu,” a story about a group of climbers who faced the choice between their personal goal of reaching the summit and the moral obligation to save a Sadhu. Our class discussion explored the broader implications of the story, such as how organizations and individuals often encounter similar dilemmas where short-term goals conflict with broader ethical responsibilities. The debate allowed me to see different perspectives on whether the hikers’ actions were ethical. The most significant aspect of the parable is the idea of personal gain versus moral responsibility. This forced me to think about how I would deal with a situation and put into perspective how complex these situations can be. 

During my internship this week, I had the opportunity to meet more people around the office, including the team at the MKS production company. I sat down with a team member who organizes the setup for company photoshoots, including booking locations, transportation, models, and everything else needed to ensure the shoot runs smoothly. He also demonstrated the software MKS uses to produce itemized lists for clients, which is crucial for payment processes. He explained that his job is necessary in a company like this as many clients want to shoot in Italy but lack the connections and knowledge to be able to organize it. Additionally, I received travel and dining suggestions from many colleagues, with several recommending Venice as a must-see destination in Italy.

This week in Milan, I attended a wine-tasting activity organized by IES. It was fascinating to learn how the origin of different wines impacts their taste, as well as how to assess their age and viscosity through sight and taste. Over the weekend, I traveled to Florence. The first thing I did was visit the Duomo, marveling at its intricate architecture and the effort required to build it. I also visited the oldest pharmacy in Florence, founded in 1221, which featured beautifully painted ceilings and historical products. My favorite part of the trip was exploring the markets filled with leather goods, vintage clothes, trinkets, and jewelry. Comparing the atmosphere of Florence to Milan was an exciting experience.

Dinner in Florence!

Walking around the oldest pharmacy in Florence.

Visiting the Duomo.