Allison Dubler – Blog post #7: Week ending June 27th

1. Professor Gupta’s academic course on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
    1. This week in Professor Gupta’s academic course on Corporate Social Responsibility, we debated whether the recently-released statement from the Business Roundtable about the purpose of a corporation was purely rhetoric, or if it will prompt real change. I find this debate extremely interesting because I genuinely am torn between both arguments of the debate; I always find myself doubting the true intentions of a corporation, and this statement brought about no different reaction in me. I felt that the statement from the Business Roundtable was just an attempt to follow the demands of society, wanting more accountability for corporations. I have trouble accepting that the motivations of this new statement were anything but rhetoric. However, I do find myself thinking that maybe some corporations truly will hold themselves more accountable now that more of society demands so.  
  2. Practicum in Milan with an Italian Company
    1. At my internship this week I found myself nervous about making sure I am doing enough. I have not gotten many new tasks in the past week, and I get anxious that I am not doing enough. I want to make a good impression on my colleagues, so I have been asking for more to do and trying to ask for as much feedback as I can without overstepping. I also have been working to make stronger connections with my colleagues. Today, Thursday, I went with my two colleagues, Laura and Lorenzo, to the grocery store for lunch. I had already packed a lunch, but I thought it was a good idea to spend some time with them outside of the office. During lunch, we talked for an hour about random things and really enjoyed the break.  
  3. Social and Cultural immersion through travels in Italy and Europe
    1. This past weekend, my friends and I flew to Barcelona on Thursday night. Our flight ended up getting delayed, so we didn’t end up arriving at our AirBnB until around 1am. However, I had a spectacular time in Barcelona. The first day we all just walked around the city and explored before getting incredible Tapas for dinner. The next day, we went on a small group boat tour that included someone driving the boat for us. It came with unlimited drinks and snacks, and we were even able to jump off of the boat and swim. Although I got seasick at some points on the boat, the captain let me drive to take my mind off of it. That night, we also got Tapas from a different restaurant, which was also delicious. 
Really cool building I passed on a walk in Milan yesterday.
Such a pretty night on the canal after dinner with friends.
This was an awesome stock market-themed bar that we went to in Barcelona. The drink prices would rise and drop throughout the night.
On the boat in Barcelona.
La Sagrada Familia! It was so beautiful.
Probably the best breakfast I have eaten in my life. So good !!!!!!