Evelyn Emmon’s Blog Post #7: Week Ending June 27, 2024

This week in Professor Gupta’s Corporate Social Responsibility class, we delved deeper into stakeholder capitalism. We watched a video featuring a debate between two knowledgeable individuals discussing whether stakeholder capitalism is the ideal approach. Following this, our class engaged in a lively debate, sharing and exchanging our own ideas. In preparing for the class debate, I reflected on the assigned readings. Although The Business Roundtable appears to represent a positive step toward social responsibility, it seems contradictory when companies that signed the document, such as Amazon, simultaneously cut healthcare benefits for part-time workers. This makes it appear that declarations of social responsibility do not always lead to meaningful change. Additionally, in class, we listened to a Wall Street Journal story about the weight-loss drug Ozempic. Discussing this drug in the context of social responsibility was eye-opening, as I was unaware of the significant environmental impact of its production. This raises concerns about whether the drug, which is increasingly used by people without diabetes, will cause future harm. It was a thought-provoking discussion that highlighted the complexities of corporate responsibility.

This week at my internship, I began preparing emails to the companies I have been researching for potential partnership opportunities. I used previous emails as templates, tailoring them to fit the specific partnerships that MKS is seeking. To ensure the institutions I’m contacting have all the necessary information, I also attached a presentation I received at the start of my internship. This presentation provides a comprehensive overview of MKS, including its mission, values, and past successes. My goal is to have all the emails sent by Monday, and I am excited to see the responses. Additionally, the office has been very busy this week as students prepare to showcase their work at the end of the week. I have had the chance to see some of the designs the students have created, and they are truly impressive. It’s been a rewarding experience to witness their creativity and hard work firsthand.

This past weekend, a group of us traveled to Nice, France. The city was vibrant and lively, with parades and street bands creating an energetic atmosphere. We also encountered several Pride celebrations, which were lively and fun, featuring DJs, a variety of drinks, and delicious food! On the second day, we visited a beach club and were amazed by the stunningly blue water—it was unlike anything I’d seen before. We spent theday soaking up the sun and swimming. The water was a bit rougher than I expected, making it challenging to get out once we were in. That night, we dined at an excellent restaurant and tried the special: beef cheek stew with gnocchi. Although I was initially hesitant, having never tried beef cheek before, it was delicious. I also sampled some of Kate’s escargot for the first time and found it surprisingly enjoyable. It was a fantastic trip filled with new experiencesand unforgettable moments.

Band playing in the street.
Beach in Nice.