GSIF Blog #1

By: Ami Yoshimura

I choose to take part in GSIF because it would not only give me the opportunity to learn about interdisciplinary work,  build on my interest in engineering, and participate in a totally different learning opportunity but also to make an impact. Traveling anywhere, getting accustomed to, learning about, and living the lifestyle of people in these places has always been a powerful learning experience. Spending time in other environments helps to heighten my appreciation for connecting with people from many backgrounds, and helps me to engage my ideas and learning through sharing experiences and interests. I knew also this kind of learning experience would not be available in classrooms or lecture halls, but rather through an immersive experience like GSIF. The ability to learn in an interactive, hands-on, and engaging environment where I can see and help to solve real-life applications and solutions to challenging problems and situations that arise was what moved me to participate in GSIF. GSIF also will help to engage my interest in engineering and design, as well as my interest in research within systems and trying to optimize them. Thinking critically about problems, but in real-life situations and applications is also something that was exciting for me. For me, by partaking in GSIF, I would not only have the opportunity to immerse in a different culture, and have a much more hands-on, in-depth learning, fulfilling learning experience where I can help other and make an impact, but also I will be able to learn about design and/or build on my interest in engineering.

I envision this opportunity as making me a better student within the engineering school (ISE) through two main aspects: technical and more non-technical, soft skills. Through this course and experience, I can envision myself learning new technical skills, like the use of different software (CAD, Microsoft, etc..), in addition to helping me understand different building technologies, techniques, and materials. Also, I will improve greatly on my ability to efficiently and effectively research especially because the project team I am on is one that is new. This means that we will need to do a great deal of in-depth research in order to think of solutions to the problems that we are faced with. I will also be able to greatly improve my writing skills and public speaking through the need to communicate our research and experiences to others. I will also specifically be able to learn more about streamlining a process and optimization, in addition to understanding markets and financials, which will all help me with my Industrial and Systems Engineering major. Along with these technical skills that I will be able to gain, I will be able to experience working within a small and interdisciplinary team, which is useful for many professions and in any setting whether they be professional or social. Working in a team that’s so diverse in thought and skillsets will also help me to improve with my team communication and collaboration skills, and will help me learn more about myself and my own strengths and weaknesses. I will be able to use this kind of knowledge to contribute to other’s learnings and learn more from others.

In many of these developing countries with eyeglasses problems, there is a fundamental problem of lack of eye care from an early age. This is why I believe that if we can tackle the problem with an approach of proper education and care of the eyes to the general population, it would help to solve the problem from where it may be stemming from. Therefore, I would create a school program for people to become an ophthalmologist which provides free education. In exchange, those that go through the program would provide low cost or free care on certain days to those in need in the developing countries these people would be from. In this way, people would be able to not only join the workforce, and bring themselves to poverty, but also provide for others and help to take a step towards the problem of eye care and education from a very young age. During these days, several days a week, the ophthalmologists can treat patients who typically wouldn’t be able to afford care, but would still make a living for themselves through providing care for patients who would be able to afford it.