- visit farms
- propose Ideas
- (Down the road) Social venture focused on introducing and implementing sustainable, state-of-the-art copra processing methods to copra farmers.
- Valued-added products from coconut (one of the options)
- Maximize use of the whole coconut
- Consistency in Quality of Copra (and higher quality of Copra)
- Reduced coconut waste
- Increased nutritional value in copra (one of the options)
- Knowledge and awareness of current drying processes and their shortcomings
- Reduced the popular use of sun-drying and smoke-drying methods
- Benefit the economy and communities in the Philippines
- Elevate the livelihoods and Increase income for copra farmers
Goals for 2020 Spring
- Research the current copra processing methods and their shortcomings.
- Research current processes and innovations being employed and piloted in the Philippines and other copra processing countries such as Indonesia, India, and Brazil.
- Research other aspects of copra processing, including stakeholders, business, and supply chain.
- Research the state-of-the-art science and technology with a view to product/design and venture creation in the future.
- Connect with students and faculty from the University of the Philippines.
- A proposed design/prototype of our own processing technique
- IRB approval
Spring 2020 Deliverables:
- Lehigh Expo Apri
- GSIF Presentation May 2
- Published paper (challenges and opportunities) highlighting the current processing methods and their shortcomings/what works
Summer Mountaintop Initiative Part 1 (06/01/2020- 06/27/2020)
- Continue Spring 2020 Research by exploring and examining the four potential pathways with regards to design, materials testing, and prototyping
- Investigate the other three potential pathways
- Prepare for the fieldwork
Field Tasks (06/28/2020 – 07/16/2020)
- Collaborate with students and faculty working hands-on from the University of the Philippines
- Conduct market research on copra supply chain and connect with smallholder coconut farmers
- Collaborate with and form strong partnerships with coconuts industry stakeholders
Summer Mountaintop Initiative Part 2 (07/17/2020 – 08/07/2020)
- Evaluate the fieldwork results to determine the social, economic, sustainable and environmental impact of the project.
- Determine which potential pathway is the best to accomplish the project’s mission.
- Continue designing and field-testing products and processes based on fieldwork results.
- Have UPD partners test the design/process/prototype in-country and obtain their feedback during design iterations.