CINQ 388 Blog Post #1

Blog Post Number 1, 8/27/19

• What are the top 3 things I learned during my GSIF trip this summer?
    • Most importantly, all the possible ingredients for substrate
      • Learned by going to the markets
      • It matters for cost of bags and successful mushrooms
      • We now have to test all these new ingredients
    • Second, I got a greater understanding for the weather in Sierra Leone and factors that will change by season
      • I learned this by talking to Jawara and others about the dry season and experiencing the wet season
      •  This matters because it will impact the structures that we decide to grow and the durability of materials that we will need to be testing and eventually using
      • In light of this we need to let the structure we currently built survive and see how long it takes to break, we also need to find alternatives
    • Lastly, I learned that the tap water is not safe to drink
      • I learned this by bringing a water drinking test that I purchased
      • This matters because some fungus leach heavy metals out of waters
      • I will make sure that nobody can be harmed by eating our mushrooms, we need to get grant money to test them, we can also look into using rain water instead of tap water or water from harmful pipes.
  • How did the GSIF trip facilitate my professional development?
    • Taught me how to be a leader
      • Sierra Leone taught me how to take responsibility that I knew I was qualified to take and take charge. I needed to be more confident and more vocal as well as stricter in what I knew was required
      • I learned this because there was no way around it. If I didn’t take charge things wouldn’t get done. It was the way it had to be done whether or not I was seen as an authority figure I had to act like one
      • This matters because it will be applicable to any job that I take
    • Changed my world view. I now believe that I have a better understanding about how the world works and what is really required to make an impact.
      • I learned this by experiencing Sierra Leone
      • This matters because I have arranged my professional and personal life goals around experiencing the world and creating sustainable impact
      • In light of this I am considering other projects and programs I can be a part of
    • This trip taught me the importance of networking which before I thought was fluff and bs
      • I learned this through interacting with Jawara’s boss on accident and afterwards realizing the impact that conversation can have on our employee.
      • The success of our project will rely on the positive connections we make in country and also in the US.
      • Through this myself and my team should always be prepared and practiced before going into situations. Our elevator pitch should be spot on.
  • How did the GSIF trip help me grow personally?
    • Seeing the disparity in wealth up close and personal was really hard and makes a person face the reality of living on earth.
      • I learned this through experiencing Sierra Leone and her people and culture
      • This changed me personally which is why it matters to me? To be more specific the larger the world view you experience the more people you can relate to.
      • In light of this I believe I have more respect and understanding of the world I live in.
    • Makes everybody grow up a little to have that much responsibility
      • I honestly feel as though I have aged and entire year in this trip. I feel more mature and responsible
    • I was alone in a foreign country with people I barely knew and I kind of need friendship to survive so it was really helped me get out of my safe bubble of people I already know and am familiar with.
      • The friendships and professional relationships I made on this trip will stay with me forever.

One thought on “CINQ 388 Blog Post #1”

1. Hi Belle,
    Great structure of how you learned each lesson, why it matters, and how you’ll use it going forward. You explain good lessons for your project as well as for you personally.
    -Lauren