9/9 Will We Stop Speaking and Just Text? – Leah Montgomery

In Will we stop speaking and just text? by Harbeck, this short but informative article lays the groundwork for intriguing initiative when it comes to physical communication. In this shifting era of technology, it has become much more apparent that texting and emojis are used more often than not to communicate with others, as opposed to speaking face to face. Interestingly enough, Harbeck makes it easy to look at the use of texting and emojis as more than just the 3 second ordeal it takes to send them, explaining that though we might think we are sending these emojis to accurately portray our facial expressions and how we are feeling, we are actually not considering how the sender feels, but how the sender wants the receiver to feel.

This article discusses and analyzes the rapid usage of texting as it seems to be taking over the world of communication, but also explains that technically, it is not. It is no surprise that it’s the younger generations adopting this form of communication much more than the older ones, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it will hinder the ability to formally write and communicate. Studies have shown that though these generations are consumed by texting and emojis, they are still learning how to write like adults and utilize these skills when needed. Though it is a substitute of speech, and we all can recognize that, it is comforting to know that it is not the future of mass communication, generally speaking. 

After analysis of this article, it is settling but also a touch frightening to think about how emojis and texting play such a significant role in our daily lives. Harbeck discusses the origination of memes, text slang, and emojis in this context, and reading this forced me to understand that the ways in which communication functioned in society 20 years ago as opposed to now  is something nobody had ever expected, and I’m not sure we will be able to halt this progression. For future generations it is terrifying to think that they may not ever live in a society where technological communication isn’t the most persisting form. It makes you wonder what these generations will have that older ones don’t, and what they may lack, such as social awareness and the ability to speak to others without the use of their phones. 

3 thoughts on “9/9 Will We Stop Speaking and Just Text? – Leah Montgomery

1. When you mention “we are sending these emojis to accurately portray our facial expressions and how we are feeling, we are actually not considering how the sender feels, but how the sender wants the receiver to feel,” I completely agree with that in our modern day and age. When someone sends something funny to someone else, the responder will probably send a few laughing emojis. However, from experience with myself and others around me, 95% – 99% of the time you send that emoji back you’re not laughing in real life. So it is funny to read that out but also quite disturbing as you mention because they really do play a significant role in the way we communicate and it’s almost like we somewhat separate our personas when it comes to texting vs. real life.

2. To be honest, I am a little bit worried about the situation. On Shanghai’s subway, almost every one spend time playing their phones, and it even makes me feel that if I don’t play my phone, it’s quite weird. Playing phones on the subway just becomes a “social norm”. Also, in some situations, when families or couples go out to have dinner, they may play their phones or text with others when they are waiting for the dishes. The conversation is just limited. In addition, when I saw babies just play the iPad at the dinner table (maybe the parents just want them to stay quiet) , I felt worried.

1. That is also something that frightens me – the social expectations of cell phone use. By now, I think most people have been in a group where everyone at a given point happens to be on their phone, so we go on our phones too just to feel normal. I hate that technology has that sort of control over us and that our social media has become so consuming that people would rather look into their phones that converse the individuals standing in front of them. Frankly, it’s sort of embarrassing that, as a society, we have allowed ourselves to become completely consumed by a piece of technology that has so many more limitations than the endless potential of an authentic human interaction.