10/21 Orphan Risks: Elon Musk’s Tesla Bot Raises Serious Concerns – But Probably Not the Ones You Think – Leah Montgomery

In Orphan Risks: Elon Musk’s Tesla Bot Raises Serious Concerns – But Probably Not the Ones You Think, Andrew Maynard discusses the trajectory of concerns for the newest AI in the technology industry, the Tesla Bot. This humanoid robot is designed to take over the everyday, boring human tasks that we take part in in our daily lives, saving us time and energy by leaving those responsibilities for the bot. But, there may be more concern than excitement in the realm of the Tesla Bot.

Maynard released this article only a few short weeks ago and explains that it isn’t the robot itself that is cause for concern, but the underlying technologies and intent behind their making. Elon Musk, as we all know, has triggered an exponential advancement in the realm of technology, and is one of the leading faces of those who are pushing this realm beyond what we can even imagine. The Tesla Bot is a sleek, 125 pound humanlike robot capable of all the enhancements we see in Tesla’s automotive AI and autopilot capabilities. But, is it fully reliable? Maynard says no, given the rise in Tesla car autopilot crashes and fatalities associated with these technologies, Maynard thinks that the development of the Tesla Bot may be pushing society beyond what we are ready to handle, including Elon Musk. Additionally, he points out that this bot can also raise serious privacy concerns and even enter a controversial political debate into whether or not this type of AI is ethical or not. 

Maynard also points out in this article that even though we can create this technology, should we? I think this is a great question to pose as we watch the development of technology rapidly rise into a dimension that not everyone is completely comfortable with. Regardless of the concerns we have, I’m not entirely sure if I am ready to have technology consume everyday tasks and functions for me, especially when I spend so much time using it already. This is a multifaceted question and potential issue that I don’t think I can truthfully answer.

One thought on “10/21 Orphan Risks: Elon Musk’s Tesla Bot Raises Serious Concerns – But Probably Not the Ones You Think – Leah Montgomery

1. I also read this article and agree with your analysis. I found the risks of Tesla’s Bot to be very concerning and troubling as I feel like there’s not a lot of attention drawn to the complications of this technology. I think the Tesla Bot is too risky as it crosses boundaries that should not be crossed, and those issues outweigh the benefits of using the Bot.