Kate Brady- Race, Gender, and Information Technology Use: The New Digital Divide

For class, I read “Race, Gender, and Information Technology Use: The New Digital Divide” by Fitzgerald et al. The study researched race and gender differences in IT use and its impact on academic performance. With a sample of 515 children from different backgrounds, the research found that males were the most intense video game users, and females were the most intense cellphone users. This finding does not surprise me at all, and it appears there is some truth to these stereotypes.

The study also found that length of time using the internet had a positive effect on academic performance, while length of time using video games had the opposite effect. I would have expected that both these things would have a negative effect on academic performance as they are both considered distractions, but perhaps the internet makes students more savvy with technology and in the loop with current events.

One finding that did not surprise me was that white students were at an advantage, as students who had been using IT for longer saw more academic success. White students typically had had more access to IT for longer periods of time, giving them a leg up. Internet in school districts with higher black populations should be prioritized, and it is definitely an unfair advantage that white students have. It all ties back to systemic racism, as some areas have less funding therefore less technology, which this study proves to cause less academic success. Hopefully this disparity can be improved in coming years, and every student can start on equal footing!