11/18 The Financial Times/Fox Business Papers – Cherry

For Fox news, there were video clips discussed the event. People who work for Facebook felt unset about the company, but Facebook denied these charges. Both of articles mentioned Facebook’s stance, that “We’re a business and we make profit, but the idea that we do so at the expense of people’s safety or wellbeing misunderstands where our own commercial interests lie. The truth is we’ve invested $13 billion and have over 40,000 people to do one job: keep people safe on Facebook.” One of the articles on Fox also mentioned the stock price.

For Financial Times, whistleblower accused the company of placing “profit over safety” and shed light on its inner workings through thousands of pages of leaked memos. There are four surprising revelations the documents contain, which are Facebook has a huge language problem; Facebook often does not understand how its algorithms work; as its AI failed, Facebook made it harder to report hate speech; and Faced book fiddled while the Capitol burned. Facebook insisted itself as politically neutral, but Donald Trump sued it claiming it unlawfully silence conservative voices. Another article pointed out that 40 to 60 percent of new US accounts are made by users who already have a Facebook account, and employees raised concerns that company was generating revenues they should never have made.

One thought on “11/18 The Financial Times/Fox Business Papers – Cherry

1. Cherry, this article is really interesting. It sheds light on the motivations of most big tech companies. I think we’ve realized as a society how these companies operate and their end goal is to generate as much money as they possibly can at the expense of our mental health/human experience. Employees coming out to share the money hungry motivations of Facebook ties into the article of how Silicon Valley families are going screen-free. We should pay attention to this because the people inside the company and who work for the company are coming out to say Facebook/technology is dangerous. I don’t use Facebook anymore I still have an account, but I started to notice a shift in the platform once they implemented targeted ads. I felt like the whole experience was in-genuine at that moment like I felt myself being targeted and used for profit. Tons of social media applications have targeted ads but Facebook’s were way more obvious because my shopping cart was featured on the right hand side of my screen. It turned me off from the platform and to know they are just in it for the profit disturbs me.