Lessons Learned

1. What are the top three things you learned during your GSIF trip this summer?
    • How to use Fusion360! This is a great tool to learn especially because it is a free program that I will be able to use on my personal laptop.
    • Being prepared. No matter what event, class, workout, or presentation you are about to go to, be prepared. During fieldwork, my team gave horrible presentations TWO days in a row. While I think we were able to salvage the situation at least the first day, I realize how hugely important it is to be on the same page as group members and to be properly prepared for things. This will help people look more professional and respectable.
    • When doing something as all encompassing as this type of project in such a compressed and intense schedule like fieldwork, it was really important to find a way to let out steam. Whether it be venting to a fellow team member or just taking a few minutes for yourself every once in a while to rest, its so important to give yourself a little time so that you can keep going for the whole 3 weeks of fieldwork.
  1. How did the GSIF trip facilitate your professional development?
  • Sometimes I let myself get talked over, but I learned how not to. Being confident in my ideas and my knowledge of the project was so important for this.
  • I learned how to stand my ground on an idea, but also concede to a legitimately better idea. I think that having the maturity to collaborate and not be offended if someone else had a better design than you is important in the workplace.
  • I took charge of getting the VentureWell proposal done, and this forced me to work on my delegation skills– which in turn will help me be a better leader.
  1. How did the GSIF trip help you grow personally?
  • I felt very privileged. For example, I am expecting a much higher starting salary than recent grads in the Philippines do. Here at Lehigh, we also have access to a state of the art design lab — a luxury I didn’t know wasn’t universal at all colleges and universities.
  • One of the things that I struggled with during fieldwork was keeping up relationships with my team members– and I think this was due to the fact that I didn’t put myself in their shoes. I didn’t take into account what they might be going through when I judged them on their work or performance. Moving forward, I am going to make an effort to understand people and delegate tasks that play to their strengths.
  • When working with the students at UPD, I realized how open and accepting they are. My cohort felt comfortable around them within the first 36 hours and became fast friends and great coworkers. I would love to take inspiration from that and be more approachable in my like back here in the states.