GSIF Blog Post February 21, 2020

10 Things That Make Me Feel Human:

1. Collaboration
  2. Anthropomorphic Climate Change
  3. Death
  4. Singing
  5. Swimming In the Ocean
  6. Heartbreak
  7. Collaboration
  8. Pregnancy
  9. Watching the Sunrise
  10.  Being on a Plane at Night

Articulate your philosophy of engagement as it pertains to your work with the GSIF / LVSIF. Specifically discuss:

1. Why should I engage?

To help build cross-cultural relationships that will lead to learning for both our team and the people of Sierra Leone. Also, to build self- sustaining systems which will lead to the improvement of living conditions across Sierra Leone, Africa, and the rest of the world. I believe it is important to find value in one’s own work but to also realize that our work is based on collaboration. We are working together in order to learn and grow as a species. If we have this kind of mindset, we can realize that our project is more than developing a screener and diagnosing tool, it will help create a system which can contribute to the whole. 

1. How must I engage?

I must engage by using the knowledge I have accumulated over the years to contribute my best efforts to our project. More specifically, as an International Relations major, I can use the skills I have acquired to learn about the culture of Sierra Leone in order to help us all engage.

1. With whom must I engage? 

I must engage with everyone I can. Not only with the people of Sierra Leone who I will be directing with, but also my teammates. We must have a great team environment in order to work as cohesively as possible. Furthermore, I must engage with my peers, family, and friends in order to share and spread knowledge and help solidify the system through awareness.

1. What kinds of challenges, opportunities, and approaches should I care about? 

I should care about issues that might impede our work or alienate us away from Sierra Leoneans. By this, I mean cultural issues that may arise. Our work is going against local culture, as we are providing an alternative to spiritual traditions. We must be aware of these cultural barriers going in so that our work will not offend others. 

1. What might my epitaph read? 

Each day is a page and I really liked the book.

One thought on “GSIF Blog Post February 21, 2020

1. I like your quote that “We are working together in order to learn and grow as a species.” From this mindset it’s easy to see how a philosophy of engagement emerges that views all partners as equals, keeps an ultimate goal in mind, and is concerned with efficiency as well as ethics/justice. Nice work!