As the trail guide pointed at the gigantic steep rock beneath us, we saw in the distance of the path we had traversed. Thousands of trees on the horizon lined up like soldiers waiting for command. Exhausted but surprised by the beauty before me, I knew my hard work was well worth the reward. I believe in staying connected with nature because within nature, we learn companionship, persistence, and positivity.

My high school annually hosts a three-day mountain camping excursion for its students. I discovered that my entire class had previous camping experience while this was just my first time. I was simultaneously excited and nervous about the idea of spending multiple nights in the wilderness. Familiar with the vibrant outdoor culture in America, I wanted to experience the same adventures as my classmates and embraced the challenge.

I ran two miles daily for a few weeks to prepare for the daunting trek. However, the trip was tougher than I expected. Carrying eighty-pound backpacks in the rain, we climbed the steep slope of the mountain with heavy steps. Before sunset, we arrived at a suspicious wooden shelter without doors or windows. Most of us brought ENO hammocks for sleeping, so we placed a protective tarp above us while we slept. Inexperienced with setting up a shelter, I learned from my friends. My classmates and I bonded over food, shared experiences, and an excitement felt only from being in nature.

The next morning, we left our shelter and began the final eight miles of the hike. There were times when I felt exhausted, but a force inside pushed me to keep going. I repeated to myself, “If they can do it, so can you.” To cheer everyone up, people started singing in the rain, “I would walk 500 miles, and I would walk 500 more.” We reached the second campsite just before dark. Before falling asleep, I reminisced about the journey and felt accomplished because I completed a task I previously thought impossible. Among nature and my friends, I learned persistence. By the second night of the trip, I knew I would miss camping.

The final day, the weather was really bad. It kept raining all morning. My shoes and clothes were soaking wet. I was stunned by the amount of rainfall that the forest had: “Pisgah Forest (zip 28768), North Carolina gets 60 inches of rain, on average, per year. While the US average is 39 inches of rain per year”(Pisgah). The trial was really slippery. I could see the texture of the rocks become smooth because of the heavy rainfall. Trying to be cautious on the trial, I still slipped. I was so frustrated, but my friend told me that the sight is going to be really beautiful afterwards. My friend wanted me to stay positive. Finally, we arrived at Johnt Rock and witnessed the beautiful sights with a sense of wonder. On the drive back home, I reflected on the adventures of the previous three days. I had fallen in love with camping and the outdoors, and it taught me to stay positive.

I lived in the city my whole life. I had never been on a camping trip before. After connecting with nature, I learned companionship, persistence, and positivity.

George Huang