I believe we should keep every promise we make.

In the summer of 2008, when I was eight, my family and I went to a seaside park to watch the sunrise. I can still remember that I got up so early that my mind didn’t even work. At the gate of the park, I saw a boy in red vest selling artificial amber. “Excuse me,” the boy said, “Would you mind buying a piece of amber. It looks nice if you use it  to decorate your home.” I looked at my father, and he gave me twenty yuan and said, “Go and pick one for yourself.” I went up to the boy, picked one out, and asked him why he sold amber at the gate. “Well, I need to earn more money to treat my mother.”

I picked up a piece of amber with a small crab embedded in it and handed him twenty yuan. The boy said. “Just eighteen yuan. Do you have change?” I shook my head. The boy thought for a moment and said, “Well, I’ll go back to my place and find you change. I thought, it is just two yuan which can’t even buy a can of Coke. So I replied: “Just use it to treat your mother. If we meet again, it will not be too late for you pay me back.” The boy smiled and said, “Thank you, I will pay you back when I meet you again.” After we made the deal, my parents and I saw the sunrise and went back home.

If we had never returned to the park again, this episode would have sunk into my memory forever. Back in the park again, it was spring of the following year. My birthday is on April 4th, and my family wanted to have a birthday party at that seaside park’s lawn. This time, we didn’t go that early. We arrived at noon. I remember it was warm, and I was wearing a hat. This time, we went into the park from the side door to avoid the traffic jam.

Some of my friends from school were invited to be there, too. We hanged out there for five or six hours, playing card games, eating homemade cookies, running for no reason. We had so much fun on that day. At the end of the party, I needed to use the restroom in the park; however, on the way there, I met the boy in the red vest! He was packing up his amber when we saw each other on the walkway. “Oh, it’s you. You bought a crab amber from me last time. Do you remember it?” He looked to be in a good mood and smiled at me. “I’m great. How’s your mother?” I asked. “She’s better.” I thought that’s why he looked great. “Oh, this is your two yuan. Last time you said I could pay you back next time we meet.” He smiled and put two yuan in my hand. I held that two yuan, and for a moment, I froze. I didn’t know what to say other than thank you. “Nice to see you again, sir.” After that, he took his bag and walked away.

When I came back to the lawn, my father came up to me and asked, “Why did it take you so long?” I didn’t answer. I just shook my head. However, the little boy’s figure was deeply imprinted in my mind. That little boy gave me a lesson on my ninth birthday, which I will never forget: We should fulfill the promises we make. Even now, this piece of amber still reminds me: Keep every pledge you make; this is an essential quality of life.

That boy in the red vest had no idea how he affected me with two yuan. I started to think highly of commitments. I used to make the promise with my professor in high school that if I didn’t get 100 in the midterm, I would run ten laps around the playground, which is four thousand meters. Everybody thought that was just a joke, except me. I got a 98 in the end, and I kept the promise by running ten laps. That boy in the red vest would never know the impact he has had on my life. It may make me better or worse, but it gives me the belief that I should follow throughout my whole life. I believe we should keep every promise we make.

Muyun He