oo6. ethical research

For the next presentation, we will be better prepared to present the documentary logistics and answer questions about it. For this first presentation, we had only done research about the topic so we didn’t have much to say about the actual documentary project. This time we hope to strengthen the follow ten things:

1. Identify a target/intended audience and do it early on in the presentation.
  2. Name potential sponsors who would be interested in this project and how we could reach out to them.
  3. Identify and develop a call to action plan. I would need to discuss this more with my group because we do not know yet who our target audience is so we will need to figure out how we want our audience to respond to the problem of maternal mortality.
  4. Identify the proposed solution and outcome we hope to achieve with this documentary.
  5. Identify what makes Sierra Leone, in particular, have the highest maternal mortality rate.
  6. Describe graphs in more detail.
  7. Have better and more descriptive visual data that portrays the differences in hospital vs. home births.
  8. Identify how we will guarantee people will watch our documentary and do something after we watch it.
  9. Identify specifically what the documentary will be about, which also goes along with the intended audience.
  10. In general, focus less on our research and more on the documentary plan.

My project does require IRB approvals because I will be conducting interviews and filming participants’ responses, both of which require human subjects. And since the human subjects in our research will also include vulnerable people like pregnant women and underage girls, we will need specific approval as well. I will be making sure that I am acquiring informed consent and I will be letting them know what their rights are as well as what will be happening before the interviews so that the participants are fully aware of what this project is about and why they might be in it. They can ask questions and I will fully address the concerns and ensure that these individuals are protected to the best of my abilities. Since there might be a cultural barrier of signing consent forms, I might be getting verbal consent instead and to make sure there is no miscommunication, I will have a translator with me as necessary. Additionally, because I will be interviewing and interacting with pregnant and underage females, I will also need local Sierra Leone IRB approval. In my IRB submission, I will make sure to describe the instruments I will be using such as cameras and microphones for the documentary and make sure that participants in Sierra Leone will understand what these instruments are used for and what the purpose of the documentary is. And because our research is international with non-English speaking populations, I will provide detailed information of local ethics, translation documentations and the type of consent (verbal) I will be getting to get IRB approval.

For my logic model, the input section will include our time, money, and research. We will be getting funded to go to Sierra Leone and develop a documentary plan and in order to go, we will need to be prepared for what we will be doing once we get there. This means that we will need to invest our time to learn how to use camera and other documentary equipment as well as researching the problem of maternal mortality in Sierra Leone. We will also need to plan out what we want this documentary to look like so that we know exactly what to do in the three weeks we are in the country. The outputs will be the direct product we achieve and the people we reach. By the end of this documentary project, different stakeholders will have been interviewed in order to gain a variety of perspectives and we will have produced the documentary film and community networks with people in Sierra Leone. Our outcomes or impacts will depend on who our target audience is but for now we hope to bring awareness to the problem for both those in the West and those in Sierra Leone and encourage people to help reduce maternal mortality rate.