Jenn Nester’s Blog Post #5

1. List ten things that make you feel human. 
  • Whizzing down the highway in my car makes me feel human
  • Feeling sad when I hear stories about people being bullied makes me feel human.
  • Making someone sad, laugh, makes me feel human
  • Lighting a fire in my fireplace when I’m cold makes me feel human
  • Filling my grocery cart with all different kinds of food makes me feel human
  • Reading a book makes me feel human.
  • Debating religion makes me feel human
  • Discussing the future makes me feel human
  • Learning something new makes me feel human
  • Solving a problem makes me feel human
  • Watching TV and going to the movie makes me feel human
  1. Articulate your philosophy of engagement as it pertains to your work with the GSIF / LVSIF. 

1. Why should I engage? 

I believe it is important to engage with all members of the community who show an interest in learning about their environment. While immersive virtual reality is a new technology, the information contained in the program is both history and the future.

1. How must I engage? 

I think it will be important to engage each individual on their own terms; whether they be a tween fully engaged with iVR, their mother or father who has minimal experience with iVR, or their grandparents who have even less experience with the new technology. 

1. With whom must I engage? 

I will be engaging with not only the consumers (players) of our game, but also with the individuals who will be responsible for continuing with it after we are finished with our project. If this project is worth doing, it’s worth doing well and it’s worth continuing when we’re gone.

1. What kinds of challenges, opportunities, and approaches should I care about? 

Convincing individuals who may have had a negative first experience with VR might be hesitant to try it again. This will be even more challenging if the individual who had the negative experience is one of the instructors in the nature center or library. Considering we are going into public libraries, we will have to work closely with the librarians in charge. It will be important to approach these individuals as the experts that they are and to help them master the technology we are planning to introduce.

1. What might my epitaph read?

Hopefully my epitaph will read: Jenn Nester.  She disrupted public education and made learning fun.