Jacques Pelman Cinq387 Blog 5

FAQs

1. What is your project about?

We are researching if the communities of color across the United States have been disproportionately impacted by COVID 19.

1. How will you be researching this topic?

We will be using sources from the media and academic research.  We will also be conduction in-depth academic interviews.

1. Who are you interviewing?

We are interviewing community organizations (NGOs) that serve these communities.

1. Why is this important?

The research is important because it can be used to inform policymakers and people of power how the pandemic has affected some of the most disadvantaged communities in the USA. The research can help the people living in these communities by informing them about how they might have been impacted by the pandemic.

1. Who will benefit from the research?

Everyone who is impacted by Covid19.

1. How will people benefit from this research?

The people will benefit from the research by fully understanding the direct and indirect ways they are impacted by the covid19 pandemic.

1. Will there be an area of specialization or specific minority demographic?

I will be focusing on the 5 boroughs of NYC.

1. What aspects of the pandemic are you focusing on?

I will do a brief analysis of the infection rate and death rates.  I will focus on the economies and wellbeing of the people.

1. Are there parts of the pandemic that are not being captured by this research?

No research is perfect at capturing all the variables but my research aims to focus on the specific factors that make the impact of the pandemic on communities of color different than mostly white communities

.

1. Will there be a bias in the research?

The biases will be kept to a minimum while researching for an academic view.

1. Why is your focus area NYC?

I currently live in NYC so I have some familiarity with the city.  NYC is a diverse city so there are communities that can be easily compared to communities of color that are impacted by the pandemic.

1. How will your research impact white communities?

People in white communities will be informed about the impacts of the pandemic on communities of color.

1. Are interviews the most accurate measure of collecting data?

This depends on the interviewee but I am using academic journals and databases to counter any accuracy concerns.

1. What will the databases be used for exactly?

The databases will be used for the numeric calculations, identifying trends within similar communities and comparing different communities.

1. What are the news articles used for exactly?

The news articles are used to confirm different claims made by the media and explore their reasoning behind why the claims are made.

1. What are the journal articles used for exactly?

The journal articles are used to research the claims used by the media and to see the implications of COVID 19 data.

1. How does your research relate to the rest of the country?

The research can be applied to many places similar to NYC.

1. How can this research relate to the rest of the world?

The research can be applied to many places that are similar to NYC.  The conclusions found can help others around the world educate themselves about their situations that they may be in.

1. How can we avoid situations similar to this in the future?

Since this the first major pandemic in postmodern history we can learn a lot from the data to prevent/mitigate the harm from another one.

1. How will a vaccine impact the conclusions of the research?

We cannot be certain how a vaccine will impact the conclusions because of the variability of the release time and the availability of the vaccine once it is released.

Note: I am a one-man group with my project and I didn’t present last semester. My project’s topic was changed at the start of this semester.  These factors have limited my knowledge of what the judges may ask if I was a presenting group and what questions I should ask. Please consider this when grading.

One thought on “Jacques Pelman Cinq387 Blog 5

1. Hi! I think you did great considering the position you’re in. From and outside perspective I would create a more flowery response to “why NYC”. Saying ” I live there” sounds lazy. I would instead just say what you said about it being diverse and a huge sample pool in one area and applicable to the USA.

Overall 9.5