The National Science Foundation is currently soliciting proposals for their PFI: Building Innovation Capacity (BIC) program under the topic of Smart Service Systems. This is a limited submission with an institutional limit of two. Building Innovation Capacity (PFI:BIC) program supports academia-industry partnerships to focus on post-discovery, academic-led research that advances, adapts and integrates technology into a human-centered smart service system and builds innovation capacity:
- Technological innovation capacity, by focusing on technological innovations with significant potential for economic and societal impact; and
- Human innovation capacity, by activating academe-industry partnerships that are anticipated to have indelible effects on the partners; and by the participation of students and/or postdoctoral researchers, who are anticipated to develop the skill-sets, capabilities, and motivation to become future innovators in partnership collaborations; and
- Service system innovation capacity, by using an interdisciplinary and cross-organizational approach to shape smart service systems that integrate both human-centered considerations and technologies from an early juncture in the project. In addition to the discipline or disciplines related to the technology, the disciplines to be included in this project are
- systems engineering or engineering design
- computer science/information technology
- human factors/behavioral science/cognitive engineering
Grants are for up to $1,000,000 for 3 years. There is a single funding competition each fiscal year.
For more details see the full solicitation notice: NSF PFI:BIC 14-610 , and also check out the…
Q&A Webinar: NSF 14-610 – Smart Service Systems Wednesday, November 5, 2014 at 2:00 pm EDT
If you are interested in pursuing this opportunity, please let us know of your intent to submit by October 31, 2014, by email to VPResearch@lehigh.edu . One group from Lehigh has expressed an interest in pursuing this. An internal review may be needed if more than two want to go forward.