1)Based on your life experience, skills and interests what would a design process that is both uniquely yours and affective look like?
Our team comes from a very right brain background – we contain three filmmakers and a marketing major. This conglomeration of thought is primarily creative and artistic, and occasionally unorganized. However, that means that we are a team that thinks big picture and figures out how to follow through to achieve our goals. We complement our strengths through our collaborative process and we communicate our plans so we know what each person is doing every step of the way. So, in terms of design process we would list out our steps as this:
2) *Identify your three most important stakeholders and list five UNIQUE attributes for each one of them.
- The mothers of Sierra Leone
- Muslim or Christian
- In need of medical care during and after pregnancy
- Subjugated gender of the country
- Reserved about talking to us
- Not accustomed to Western medicine
- Makeni Midwifery School
- Improving healthcare in Sierra Leone through direct training
- Students work towards Nursing Association Certificate
- Graduates about 100 midwives per year
- Located in rural Sierra Leone
- Since 2010 the school has graduated almost 500 midwives
- Surgical School
- Trying to incorporate Western medicine
- Improving healthcare in Sierra Leone
- Students work towards Surgical Assistant Community Health Officer certificate
- Students train to complete life saving surgeries
- After training the students go to regional hospitals where they can perform their own surgeries
- Contributes to 25% of all surgeries in Sierra Leone.
- *Identify three ways in which you will validate your project concept, technology, usability, and business model.
We will validate our project by using a media impact evaluation model.
We will first validate our project by determining how many people we reached, that is how many people viewed our film. For every person who has viewed our film or been exposed to it in some capacity, our documentary message gets distributed. When the stories we portray get distributed, people talk about our documentary and spread the word about the cause we are representing.
Second, we will validate our project evaluating audience engagement. This evaluation is a continuation of the amount of people we have reached. After people have been exposed to the film, we are looking for our audience to respond positively to our film. A positive response would be one of empathy and a need to take action. This would be shown through reposting our video on other networks, sharing our video link, and through donating funds to the organizations we represent.
Lastly, we will validate our project through its influence factor. A positive influence would show changes in the communities our film is shown in. For example, more women would apply to attend midwifery school. A positive influence would also exhibit changes in attitude towards the issue of maternal mortality. For instance, this could be Sierra Leoneans building a stronger trust with Western medicine.
Computer Science – In highschool my dad’s work friend taught me how to program. This was a very different way of thinking than I was used to.
Organic Chemistry- My roomate tries to explain organic chemistry to me in order to help her study. I do not like learning about organic chemistry.
Guitar- One of my friends taught me how to play guitar in highschool. While i could already play the piano, the guitar was completely different and difficult for me to learn