Week 5

Based on your life experience, skills and interests, what would a design process that is both uniquely yours and effective look like?

There is a process to every project or design. First things first I always write down the design constraints to the problem. This helps me keep focused on the task at hand and what’s required for a fool-proof design. From here I make sure I have all the right tools for the job. I learned this from my dad who learned it from his. My grandfather used to say “If you don’t have the right tool for the job, go to the store and buy it.” It seems like a simple saying, but if you do not have the necessary tools or skills, odds are the the final result will be half-assed. From there I attack the project head on and get help on the problems that arise with whatever resources are available such as friends, books, or the web. Finally, I’ll get it reviewed by a superior for criticism and validation.

How will you validate your project concept, technology, usability, operational / business model?

I’ll validate my project the same way millions of people validate their decisions in life, by ensuring my work will positively affects more people than it harms. In the scope of this project, there is not much room to harm people, otherwise it would not be an effective sustainable development project. But to positively effect people for this project, we must complete the project to it’s end and its goals from the beginning. If we fall short on our goals it will be like we abandoned the women of the Co-op in Paradise Village, and that is a failure. For validation we must complete the task we set out to do and anything more than that is a plus.

Articulate your philosophy of engagement with communities, partners, and markets.

I am often described by my family as a “nice boy.” But what classifies nice? Being polite? Respecting others? Sure, but I strive for more than that. I want to be the type of person whose actions are impact hundreds in ways that people don’t often see. I enjoy the recognition for doing the right and honorable thing. It helps fulfill aspects of my ego, but its not my primary motive. Its the little things and attention to detail that go a long way. That being said I believe that compassion and awareness are cornerstones to my philosophy of engagement. One needs compassion to be dedicated and focused on benefiting those involved. Awareness goes along way because the needs and requirements of a project may not always be clear, but its my responsibility to be aware of all factors that make my projects go smoothly.