Matt Feryo: 2/22/19

As a swimmer, I am constantly wearing goggles to protect my eyes from the water. I would say that on average I go through about 4 pairs of goggles a season. Each pair costs about $20. So in total, I spend anywhere from eighty to one hundred dollars a year on something that should be able to, in my opinion, last me a career. Figuring out what causes the goggles to break is difficult because there are a lot of different areas that the goggles can tear. In general, however, I would say that the most vulnerable part of the design is the piece that ties the straps together in the back. It is made of plastic and snaps incredibly easily when the straps are tightened. So if I were to redesign goggles, I would mainly focus on creating some type of piece that does not break as easily as the current plastic piece. As of right now, I would say that the best material to replace the plastic would be rubber because of its capability to stretch and maintain its shape without too much strain. Also important would be to maintain the comfort and cushion around the eye pieces. These goggles will be on athletes faces for sometimes up to four hours a day. Needless to say comfort is incredibly important in a design of goggles. Additionally, the goggles would have to maintain their hydrodynamic shape. Pretty much all goggles that are made currently are marketed as “the most hydrodynamic goggle their is”. Every curve and every edge of a person’s body creates a small drag in the water that slows down the swimmer. The new goggle would have to have sleek features and be made with care, as to avoid any unnecessary drag that could effect the swimmer’s race. This shape would have to be determined through research in the pool.

In order to validate the concept of this endeavor, I would most likely reach out to different companies that are already making goggles. There are several different companies, each with many different models of goggles. Maybe I would reach out to these companies and ask if they have considered remodeling their goggles to make them last longer and more durable. Once I get the attention of these large corporations, it will be important to get professional athletes to sponsor the new model. Young swimmers look up to professional athletes. Having a previous olympian endorse the product would definitely incite other’s to want to buy the product. This would also lead to a strong marketing plan. If the product was marketed as a “Super Goggle” that is stronger and more durable, along with professional endorsements, in my opinion, the goggles would be extremely popular.

A philosophy of engagement takes many different forms and has many different purposes. In short, it is how someone uses their own skills to provide a service to others in need. In this case, I feel like I have a lot of expertise in the field of swimming. I have been swimming since I was six years old and have gone through countless pairs of goggles. The importance of having a good pair of goggles is imperative for a competitive swimmer. Any inconvenience can easily get in a swimmer’s head and completely throw them off for their entire race. So, I think that I can bring my expertise to the table and help these companies create the “perfect” pair of goggles that last longer and is harder to break. Another aspect that goes along with the philosophy engagement is being willing to serve others in a selfless manner. I would want to make these goggles so that every swimmer feels just as fast as Division I athletes and Olympians. Wearing the same gear that these athletes wear will, hopefully, inspire young kids to work really hard, set goals, and accomplish them. In my opinion, there is no better feeling than everything going perfectly in your race and you have the race of your life. I would want these goggles to reduce the stress of these athletes, who sometimes have the weight of the world on their shoulders. Stress never does any good for young athletes. Producing more durable goggles will reduce this stress and help them to swim faster!