blog 5

1. My personal design process would start out with a loosely defined list of things I want to accomplish and how those things would be accomplished. For me, a little initial structure is needed however, I tend to have lots of ebb and flow in how my ideas change. So overall, my design process would be to have a lack of rules and guidelines so that I am free to alter and adapt my design which is bound to occur. Therefore, I would not feel restricted to my original ideas or disappointed when the outcome is different. I think this design process is perfect for me because a lot of times when things do not turn out the way I pictured them to I think of it as a failure However, it is essential to remember that things are bound to change and be affected by factors that were not considered.
  2. To validate the various aspects of our project, we have been working closely with not only faculty, but experts on topics such as nutrition, sensory science, and food. We have also been communicating to Jawara who can give us input on what things actually are popular in SL and how accessible and economically viable our ingredients are. In addition to all of this, the CINQ 396 class itself is a method of validation through intense presentations covering the breadth and depth of our ideas. These presentations will be analyzed from a variety of field experts and staff.
  3. My philosophy of engagement is heavily based on connecting and trying to understand the people we are working with: everyone from the customer themselves to the experts giving us feedback. It is crucial to garner trust through equitable, mutual relationships. In the end, it is not really about the product, it’s about the effect the product has on the people and the people themselves. Hopefully these connections and deeper understanding will result in a greater sustainability and easier integration in the diet of Sierra Leone children.