Identify 10 specific things you will do to strengthen your next presentation (and responses).
- Speak louder
- Have a better story to over compass our whole presentation to connect our story: create a better flow that makes more sense
- Find a way to connect our vision into the project, as well as convey that
- Prepare a little more; more rehearsal
- Plan for contingencies, like where will stand, having a clicker etc.
- Get a grilling from someone impartial, (someone other than mentors)
- Find a way to connect the data collection and the modeling together so the audience doesn’t get confused.
- Prepare to answer more questions, but also learn which ones to bring up in the presentation, and which we want to leave out, knowing that they will answer it.
- Learn to dodge questions better, but also learn a little more so that we don’t have to dodge as many questions
- Fidget Less on stage.
Does your work require IRB approvals? If yes, articulate your detailed IRB strategy.
Unfortunately, the work on the Ebola team requires IRB protocols. We are going to shoot for an expedited IRB. We don’t fit under the criteria for an exempt protocol because we are dealing with humans as well as interviewing them to collect data. We don’t plan on keeping their names or any specific information regarding their data, so we don’t fit under the full either. We are sort of in the sweet spot, and therefore we believe that we fall under the expedited category of the IRB.
From an actual strategy point of view, we are going to do a couple of things to make the IRB board happy/ like our project. The first strategy is to keep all data confidential and not correlated to anything other than then the interview number. We hope that none of us will be able to pair any of this data to names. I think this is one of the main things IRB will be looking for. The second strategy is to conduct our interviews with a wide variety of range of people but avoid a specific category of people (Pregnant woman, young children, etc.). This will allow us to gain data, without having to work with a group of people under stricter protocols. The third way in which hope to make the IRB board happy is by creating our questionnaire so that it guides the reader to the data we need without asking anything to compromise or that is considered too inappropriate. The final way in which we hope to satisfy the IRB board is by using the IRB protocol from when the project only involved bats as well as the proposal that was sent to the NIH for funding. We basically plan to name drop and use already approved protocols to sort of “WOW” the board with what the previous members of the team accomplished with their protocols. Through the use of these four concepts, we hope to get IRB approval as an expedited project.
Develop a Logic Model for your venture.