On Thursday, April 11, from 4:00 – 5:30, Tackling T.I.N.A. will host “Free Money,” a public conversation about Universal Basic Income (UBI). This free public event focuses on how UBI—an unconditional cash payout given to all individuals in a specified region—could help fight poverty, prevent evictions, and strengthen labor politics in the twenty-first century. This policy idea has been gaining a lot of traction lately and is supported by a surprisingly wide-range set of thinkers. This conversation will introduce participants to the basic concept behind UBI as well as consider the economics involved in its implementation.
- Selections from Annie Lowrey’s Give People Money: How A Universal Basic Income Would End Poverty, Revolutionize Work, and Remake the World (2018) – You can download the excerpts here or buy the book to support the author.
- Janine Carambot, Bethlehem Area Public Library
- Holona Ochs, Associate Professor of Political Science @ Lehigh University
Save the Date:
- When: Thursday, April 11, from 4:00 – 5:30
- Where: Bethlehem Area Public Library, North Branch (11 W Church St).
Feature Image Credit: “Piles of coins with the title MONEY behind them” by Marco Verch via Flickr (CC BY 2.0).