Although we have interpreted the data using our own research and analysis, we understand that there is no right or wrong answer. We encourage our audience to actively look at the data themselves and pull out their own conclusions, interpretations, and analysis. That being said, here are some interesting trends that we noticed:
- Most states preferred broadcast tv shows that took place in their home state.
- For Some examples: Georgia’s top show: “Atlanta”, DC’s top show: “Scandal”, Illinois’ top show: “Chicago Fire”
- The top 5 shows for broadcast were more uplifting, light-hearted, positive as well as simplistic compared to cable.This is probably because people are not paying for these channels and everyone has easy access to them (including children) which means there are more restraints as to the content allowed to be shown.
- The top 5 shows for cable were more dramatic, violent, horrific, negative as well as complex. This is probably because people are paying for these channels, which allows for less restrictions when it comes to explicit material.
- State’s that are recognized as democratic are mainly watching MSNBC, a newscast known for leaning more towards the left.
- State’s that are recognized as republican are mainly watching Fox News, a newscast known for leaning more towards the right.
- Both Republican and Democratic states watch CBS and CNN, but more so Democratic for CNN and Republican for CBS
- Shows that are longer in length are more popular than those that are shorter.