Samuel Rosen’s Blog Post #1: Week Ending May 27th, 2023

Course on Corporate Social Responsibility 

In our academic course this week with Professor Gupta we wrapped up the video series on Adam Smith. While I enjoyed the background provided by the videos, I am most looking forward to the discourse with other students surrounding current events. We discussed a poll that the students had filled out in our first meeting back at Lehigh – highlighting how the group responded to questions regarding the power of the corporation and our trust in the free market system. Professor Gupta asked questions that inspired conversation and always fought fervently on behalf of the opposing point of view from the student. We had our first WSJ post this week and even though we haven’t had class since, students have already begun discussing their topics and sharing their opinions on the matter – even on a night out! 

Practicum in Milan with an Italian Company

Thursday marked the first day of work for many of us. I began my position at the Italian Angels for Growth (IAG – pronounced e-yag in Italian) where I will be working on collecting historical data on venture activity in Italy and tracking macroeconomic trends in the region. I was pleasantly greeted by members of the team as they streamed into the office and we collectively enjoyed a coffee on the office terrace (featuring a view of the Duomo). With preconceived notions of the average Italian rooted in other European travels, I was surprised by how welcoming my coworkers were. Within an hour of being there, I was already joining screening calls with potential investments and laughing with my coworkers! The office space is set up to encourage collaboration, with two rows of workstations facing one another. This makes it easy to ask a question or get a demonstration on something. After some work, we indulged in a nice lunch at a pizza shop. My team typically eats in the office but went out in celebration of my first day. I worried this meant that the holy hour of lunch I had heard so much about was nothing more than urban legend. The next day’s lunch rolled around and my coworker encouraged me to go grab a meal to bring back to the office or order delivery. I opted for some poke and got ready to eat at my desk. Fortunately, I met my coworker on the terrace to eat my food. We stayed out long after we finished our food, soaking in the Italian sun and talking about our upbringing. He offered stories of growing up in a small town in the Italian countryside as I shared tales of growing up in Silicon Valley. Both of us yearned for a taste of the lifestyle the other had become so accustomed to. I am grateful for the opportunity to work with such dedicated individuals and have already learned so much by simply existing in their presence. 

Social and Cultural immersion through travels in Italy and Europe

Having only been here a few days, it is hard for me to pinpoint which of my biases will stand the test of the next six weeks. Regardless, I continue to be in awe of the beauty around every corner in the city and behind the smile of every Italian I meet. That being said, there are exceptions to every rule. We were always told to travel in groups so as to ensure that everyone remains safe, although there is a certain anxiety associated with traversing through the city as a group of 25 naive american students. We could walk in silence and still be broadcasting just how new we are to this city. As we become more accustomed to our surroundings and the culture,  I imagine that anxiety will fade away. I am writing to you aboard our train to Lake Maggiore and we are going to Cinque Terre tomorrow. There are discussions regarding a trip to Switzerland and I intend on going to Barcelona to meet up with some friends from home. My primary fear is overlooking the beauty that Italy has to offer as we flee to neighboring countries.

Duck seen resting at Lake Maggiore
View of Sforza Castle on the way to work!
Jon, Mason, and me at the top of the Branch Tower on the first night
View of the Duomo on the way to work