Katerina Bazarko’s Blog Post #2: Week Ending June 3, 2023

Class this week was very entertaining and gave a nice taste of what the next few weeks will look like. I really enjoyed the activity where we had to read a sentence summary of a specific case and discuss the pros and cons without any further information. It was cool to discuss the potential missing information and try to fill in the gaps with my group mates. Having 2 students come up to explain their Wall Street Journal entry is also something I have enjoyed and look forward to. It is a great exercise to automatically learn more on current topics and have the opportunity to discuss with classmates. Class with Amanda Swain was fun and I liked hearing about everyone’s internship experiences and their opinions on the cultural differences they have picked up on thus far in Milan. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed my days at the Gen-USA office! Every morning, I have breakfast with Jimmy and Sam (my fellow Lehigh interns), and then we embark on our lovely 15 minute walk to the office. We are joined with 3 other IES interns from different schools. Working with many interns has definitely broadened my horizons and exposed me to different approaches to problem-solving. Specifically this week, my assignment was to conduct a research project on the Inflation Reduction Act. The opportunity to take a deep dive into the intricacies of economic policy and its real-world implications was very intellectually stimulating and I enjoyed presenting my information to my mentor at the company. 

We got very lucky to receive tickets to visit the famous Last Supper painting. The painting was beautiful and I am very thankful I got to see it because the large crowds in the area and waiting room make it clear what a popular site it is. Having easy access to trains from Milan has made travel rather simple. Easy travel by train has allowed us to effortlessly hop between countries, immerse in diverse cultures, and create unforgettable memories. Traveling to Verona was wonderful, and the wine tasting was such an awesome experience. I liked walking around the town and appreciating its quaint history. Singing in the arena was really fun and brought a smile to not only our faces, but many onlookers also visiting the arena. 

Fellow Lehigh Gen-USA intern: Jimmy
Sachi, Neave, Lili, Sophia, and I in front of the Last Supper painting!
Sara and I in front of the arena in Verona