Corinne Lyght Blog Post #2: Week Ending June 3, 2023

an academic course on Corporate Social Responsibility

This week in class we talked more about corporate governance and the structure of businesses. This included the checks and balances that are in place to try and protect the entire system. It was really important to understand the basics to continue to learn more effectively in this class. However, I really enjoyed the WSJ post on the battle between California and the FDA. It was really concerning to me but also an important reminder that the institutions that are supposed to protect us aren’t necessarily doing that. It is sad and frustrating that we need to constantly question the FDA and the government systems but through our questioning hopefully that is how they continue to improve and adapt. There are many different systems in the government that I do not trust but the FDA is probably one of the departments I have the most belief in. However, now I am not so sure. I think it was a good example and reminder to always question and be curious and to not become too comfortable with the systems. It makes me want to look more into what I am consuming but it is also unrealistic so balance is key. 

Practicum in Milan with an Italian Company

This week at BoutiqueNB I was given more responsibility and also more ambiguity with my role. I worked remote two of the four days this week which was a new challenge because I am still learning and want to ask questions. Lucia was at a wedding this week which is why she was not in the office. Before leaving she gave Danny (the other intern) and I the goals for the next few days. Our responsibility was to be on the “front office” and answer any customer concerns or questions and handle all the documentation necessary before a stay. It was stressful because there was more ambiguity than I was expecting since Lucia was not easily accessible. This meant that I had to rely on Danny to ask questions and we bounced ideas off of each other. Learning how to collaborate with another intern has been a really good experience and we also trust each other and feel comfortable asking questions. It is also a good lesson on how when we have questions we can first look towards our closest peers and then if we are unable to solve the problem we can look to our superiors. When we did have questions we did reach out to Lucia but it was a last resort.

Social and Cultural immersion through travels in Italy and Europe

This week I met up with a family friend for dinner in Milan. I took the subway from class up to a restaurant by Milano Centrale. I was early for dinner so I was waiting outside the restaurant when a woman was looking around with uncertainty and eventually came up to me and asked if I spoke English. She was looking for a restaurant and could not figure out where to go. She had asked for help before me, but they had only pointed in the direction and she got confused. She was struggling with the language barrier in her own way as well. I helped her figure out the directions and then we spoke for a few minutes before she went to dinner. She told me she is from Sweden and she is a designer here for work. She was really excited to hear that I was studying abroad and was so nice. It was a really cool spontaneous experience that I had. It was a short conversation but a nice reminder that we are all from different backgrounds but can find commonalities.

In Verona for the day on Friday. It was a beautiful city.

When we visited “The Last Supper” 

During the walking tour in Verona