Bella Marino’s Blog Post #3: Week Ending 06/10/23

This week started off with a strong Milanese spirit as Sunday night was a football game between AC Milan and Hellas Verona. Coming from Verona earlier the Friday before, the group of us had perspectives of both teams. We had dinner near the stadium as we waited for everyone to get back from their weekend trips. As we walked into San Siro Stadio, an opening song began to play as the lights flashed and the fans sang along. “Sarà Perché Ti Amo” by Ricchi & Poveri is a huge anthem in Italy, but also for AC Milan fans. I knew of this song before coming to Italy, so I was jumping up and down with excitement singing the lyrics. We could not get over the fans in the Fossa dei Leoni, which means Lions’ Den, as we found our seats. They had a few guys at the bottom of the section leading them in chants through the whole game and they did not stop once. Even when we bought our tickets it was strictly written to not wear the opposing team’s colors since we were in the home section. I was very excited for the sport spirit, as back at home nothing is ever this intense in the stands. There were multiple flags being waved and flares being lit as the Milan Ultras (the name for the fans in the Lions’ Den) chanted and did hand motions in unison making it very intimidating for the small Verona section across the way. The game was great as Milan won 3-1 and there was a retirement ceremony for a loved player at the end, Zlatan Ibrahimović, which brought the stadium to tears as he is up there with Cristiano Renaldo and Lionel Messi for being a very decorated player. Everyone was wearing his jersey with number 11, and it almost had me tearing up, his ceremony was very touching as the fans cheered his name repeatedly.

Before the football game I had just come back from visiting my cousins who live in Torino. I took a train to Santhià and was picked up for lunch and driven through the alps to some castles to learn about the area’s history. Afterwards we met up with the rest of the family for dinner, as well as a new baby cousin Giovanni who was born the year before. It was nice to see everyone since the last time I visited was before COVID in summer of 2019. We caught up and laughed as I was told many things about the places I need to see when I come back to visit. That Sunday, before coming back for the game, my cousin showed me around the city of Torino and where he studies for dental school. It was great to see them after a lot of time and to keep in touch in the meantime.

This week in Professor Gupta’s class we watched a documentary on corporations. It was interesting to see how they are deemed a “legal person”. We also discussed a student’s article summary and if companies need to make statements on certain issues occurring and should we expect them to or not based on the issue or the company.

At work this week I was tasked with organizing the show room. I enjoy organizing things, so I was excited to put my perfectionism to work. I sorted through polos, men’s wear, children’s, and maternity clothing and made sure the repeats of some of the samples went in a box. I also put together a spreadsheet of other companies in Europe that Guiba 80 could potentially sell through. This week I also had the privilege of meeting my boss’s niece for lunch. She took me to a place she used to go to a lot when she was younger near my work. It was delicious and was fun to exchange our differences since she is the same age as me.

AC Milan vs. Verona at San Siro Stadio Milan won 3-1.

Dinner with my cousins in Alice Castello!

Carbonara pizza

A church in Torino

View of Aosta Valley from Forte di Bard.

Some of the cats my cousins have in the yard. The little one is crazy and the other one hisses at him.