Will Ironside’s Blog Post #4: Week Ending June 17, 2023

This week, we had our corporate social responsibility course with Professor Gupta on Monday and Wednesday. On Monday, we began by discussing Caroline and Neave’s Wall Street Journal articles. Caroline’s was about Vivek Ramaswamy, the anti-woke presidential candidate who wants to crush ESG and gut the fed. Neave’s was about how the White House is preparing for the possibility that the Supreme Court could kill the Student Loan Forgiveness Plan. After this discussion, we discussed a few articles that we read before class. The last part of the class on Monday consisted of us separating into our groups and discussing points of why we think the 2019 Business Roundtable statement was empty rhetoric or not. We then came back and two groups debated the subject, after being given their stance to defend from Professor Gupta. In class on Wednesday we discussed Emily and Jimmy’s Wall Street Journal articles. Emily’s article was about how cloud seeding has made a comeback as a solution to drought. Jimmy’s was about how Allstate and other home insurers have stopped selling new home-insurance policies in California because of the wildfire risks. We then watched the movie “Civil Action”, which was very interesting and I thought related to our class very well.

This week for my internship, I went into the office on Tuesday and worked remotely the rest of the days. On Tuesday, our boss Federico was not there but he gave us some tasks to complete. Sachi and I were in the South Garage boutique most of the day. We made 3 more videos for their Tiktok that should again be posted next week. I was also able to model the clothing again in one of the videos. In the other two videos, we filmed multiple types of their Red Wing boots and their Tela Genova selvedge denim. We did a voiceover to these videos when working remotely the rest of the week. We also were able to edit the rest of the videos we made while working remotely. After making these 3 videos, Sachi and I went back upstairs to our office a discussed future marketing plans with the 3 other interns. Overall, it was another productive week and I am continuing to learn more each week!

This week I was again able to travel many places both in Milan, and outside of Milan. On Sunday, I went to Florence with Le, Dane, Tiffany, and Emily. My girlfriend is studying abroad in Florence as well so I was able to see her while we were there. We went to the top of the Santa Maria del Fiore Cathedral and had a beautiful view of the city. We also got to go see Michaelangelo’s David which was amazing! We did some shopping and went to Trattoria Zà Zà for dinner, the steak was some of the best that I have had. During the week I was not able to travel much with classes and my internship. On Friday and Saturday Dane, Le, Tiffany, and I went to Naples. On Friday we were able to go see the catacombs in Naples and on Sunday we went to see Pompei. These were both very interesting to see. Overall, it was another fun week of travel and I have been enjoying everything I have been able to see and do.

Our amazing meal at Trattoria Zà Zà in Florence
A view of Florence from the top of the Santa Maria del Fiore Cathedral
The sashimi platter from all you can eat sushi this week