Emily Sofio’s Blog Post Week Ending June 17

This week at Alice for Children, I started to work on a new project for the organization. They are starting up a new program called Alice Digital, a digital literacy computer/tablet course for secondary students in the Dandora high school. Before this project, Alice for Children mainly operated on primary schools and orphanages for education (not including their culinary arts academy). The project is fairly new. I spent the past week researching potential donors to help fund this project, as well as translate their main documents for the project into English (make a project description doc, budget, etc). When researching, we found an organization that donates computers. I drafted an email with the project description doc, the translated organization’s main slides, and the video with the voice over I made the previous week and sent it to a staff member in Kenya to deliver. The organization wrote back immediately, and we are meeting with them soon to discuss potential donations and trainings for this project! 

This week in class, we watched the movie “Civil Action” based on a true story. It was a very engaging movie about an injury attorney who risks his entire career for one case: going against major corporations who diluted a towns tap water, leading to the deaths of several local children. We also discussed the validity of BRT’s 2019 stakeholder agreement. There was a debate in class, one team being for the validity, the other arguing that the document holds no value. When the debate was open to everyone, I brought information from my past Wall Street Journal assignment. I argued that the report held no value, as companies whose CEOs signed the report had recently voted against carbon reduction plans in their upcoming projects. 

I began last Sunday with a day trip to Florence with some classmates. We made sure to check out all of the restaurants that became viral on TikTok, including a bar that serves drinks through an open window in the street. Although the statue of David was cool, I would have to say the best part of the trip was our dinner. We tried the “best steak in Florence” at a restaurant called ZaZa, which was easily the best food I have had this summer. In Milan, I continued to eat the best gelato ever at Gelato Fatto Con Amore, getting dark chocolate orange yet again. I also tried Italy’s version of an iced coffee, which is more like frozen coffee and tasted amazing.

Hole in the wall that served drinks!
Dinner at Florence
View of the Duomo!
First frozen coffee!