Corinne Lyght Blog Post #5: Week Ending June 24, 2023

1. Academics

This week in class we had thoughtful discussions about the movie “A Civil Action” and discussed the different factors and nuances from the movie. It is clear that there isn’t a straight forward solution to problems like this. While there is not a clear solution, it is still concerning that we are not guaranteed safety when it comes to water and things that I consider basic necessities. Also in class, we debated the Apple case and also watched a short documentary about the communities living in the Amazon who have been affected by car manufacturers trying to go green. It was incredibly eye opening to me because something that is usually seen as a good thing and necessary in order to combat climate change is not a perfect solution and a lot of people are still being hurt from it. It’s scary and sad because it makes me wonder if there will ever be a good solution. It is also clear that the most vulnerable communities are not being protected.

2. Internship

This week at work, I was fully remote all five days. Usually I am remote Monday and Friday, but work in person the other days. Lucia was on vacation this week and while she was available when we needed her, it was not as responsive and it was not the same as an in person work environment. It is nice to see that Lucia has a lot of trust in us to do the work. I worked well with Danny this week communicating with him and trying to catch him up on things that he missed from last week because he went home for the week. We were able to ask each other questions and able to solve a lot of things on our own. It is really crazy how we’re almost done with work but I have learned a lot about myself and what I am interested in. My dad works in a similar field as this business so it’s been a lot of fun to have conversations with him and tell him about the things that I’ve learned, so he can try and improve his work as well and also see if he wants to explore different avenues.

3. Travel

Last week, we went to the other towns in Cinque Terre. The first weekend we had gone to Monterosso but this time we explored the 4 other towns which was a lot of fun. The other towns were much different than Monterosso. It was much more rocky which is not something I’ve ever experienced. We went cliff jumping and were able to have a very relaxing weekend. The last 5 weeks have been so busy and I think it was important to experience a new place but also find that balance. This week I am in Rome which is much different than Cinque Terre but also amazing. Today we went to the Vatican and had the opportunity to see the Sistine Chapel. It is really special to be able to see these historical sites and I am looking forward to tomorrow when we go see some other major Rome tourist attractions.

Picture of the beach in Vernazza 

In La Spezia where we stayed for the night. Easy to commute to the Cinque Terre towns

St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome