Neave Murray’s Blog Post #5: Week ending 6/24/2023

This week in class we read a case study done on Apple which shed light on human rights violations with some of their suppliers that they outsource to. After looking over the case study, we discussed with our groups and then two groups debated each other on if it was reasonable for Apple to apply different ethical standards to different countries based on the respective laws of that country. In my opinion I believe that if the individuals are being employed or providing a service to an American company, they should be treated under the same standards of that company. However, I found the debate very interesting and found the points that the group against Apple shared intriguing. With no class next week I am looking forward to perfecting my group project.

For my internship I worked again on the pollution data from Southern California and formatted a UML, which is stands for unified modeling language, for the data to better organize the different components. I did this by breaking up each section of data and determining specific attributes that related, this included position of the pollutant, item type, material type, and the link to the photos that were submitted by volunteers working on the assignment. I also went back to a project I worked on previously and fine tuned some of the data based on feedback from another correspondent of the company that is based in San Diego. This upcoming week I am shifting to look at Covid-19 data and taking a tour of the labs where my boss completed his PhD.

This past week some of us tried to take a day trip to Lake Garda to enjoy the nice weather but unfortunately there was a strike and our trip was cancelled. We turned the day around by getting a lovely brunch together and enjoying the nice weather in the backyard of our apartment. We then went out to dinner all together and had homemade pasta that was absolutely delicious. The next day some of us girls traveled to Rapallo & Santa Margherita and stayed overnight in an Airbnb. The location was amazing and the towns were stunning right up against the sea. We enjoyed the beach and a lovely dinner and roamed around the towns enjoying the locals out listening to music and dancing. It was one of my favorite weekends so far this trip and I cant wait to wrap up the trip with more fun to come.

The view from our apartment in Rapallo. We had to hike up this hill for about a mile but the view was well worth it.
My pesto pasta from our group dinner on Friday. The noodles were made in the restaurant and it was absolutely delicious
Dinner in Rapallo! We enjoyed seafood and wine and shared so many stories. I have loved getting to turn strangers into friends through this trip!