Le Yang’s Blog post #6: Week Ending July 1st, 2023

Practicum with Internship:

As Mason and I near the end of our experience and Fondaziones Franco Albini, we hoped that we have contributed and provided value to our company. We had a networking event on Tuesday with all the other IES interns and their sponsors. I was able to meet Brandi, the other professor that teaches at IES. Our boss wasn’t able to come due to travel, but her assistant Arianna stopped by the event briefly. She is also the person that we talk to and work with at work. This event allowed me to know a little more about her and what her life as a student is like. She is preparing for a final exam coming up soon while also balancing the work. For the last week, we are tasked with making a sheet for the past year to keep track of revenue and expenses.

Academic course on CRS:

On Monday, I watched the film, Erin Brockovich. I thought this film was similar to A Civil Action. Both protagonists in each movie are tenacious lawyers who have a sense of justice for their local community. I was able to get a different perspective through Erin’s story as she fights for her beliefs. She is a single mom who has three kids and is the only source of income for the family. You could see the hardship and personal struggles that someone like Erin goes through. This is also the last week we have before our presentation on the research paper, so I’ve been busy doing research and finishing up our project. I’m excited to share the results with the class.

Culture Immersion:

It’s crazy to think that I’ve been in Italy for about a month now. I feel like I’m a local of Milan, but at the same time, I still have so much of the city to explore. I’ve enjoyed my time here and learned a lot about Italy itself. I still don’t get how people wear suits and pants during this scorching summer weather. Someone has told me that it can get up to 104 degrees here in the summer near August, so I commend the people of Milan for being so professional. Reflecting back, the North and South of Italy are very different. The people down South seemed to speak Italian, but a different dialect than Milan. I wish I had more time to visit other places like Sicily or Sardinia. Looking forward, I will be visiting my relatives in Amsterdam after the program, so I’m excited to immerse myself in a different country and culture.

Snapshot of where we work for our internship.

Seafood spaghetti in a baked crust.

Lines by La Romana, a popular spot for Gelato.