Neave Murray’s Blog Post #6: Week ending 7/1/2023

This week we did attend in person class, but rather we were assigned to watch “Erin Brockovich” as well as finish our final projects with our groups. I found the movie very interesting and enjoyed the storyline and dedication of Erin. It shows that there are people who are willing to go the distance to do right, no matter the cost. This movie was similar to “A Civil Action”, but I feel that the difference between these movies are in the personality of the main characters and that Erin didn’t really have anything o prove other than doing the right thing whereas the protagonist of A Civil Action had a large ego he had to combat. These movies were similar in the overarching issue, but handled different ways. I also enjoyed finishing up my final project and ensuring everything was ready to go for presentations.

For my internship this week I went back to previous assignments and redefined certain aspects and found meta data for all of the positions. I then went on to help reorganize data from a Covid survey given to Italian citizens to help prepare the day to be put in coding systems to look at correlations between answers. I also have begun drafting a proposal for how to incorporate the use of a microscope for digital devices in pollution collection. This proposal will go into a pollution program that is active in Southern California and be used to look at micro plastics in the water surrounding where pollutants are found on the beaches in Southern California. I am excited to finish up these tasks this upcoming week as I conclude my experience here.

This past weekend almost the entire group took a trip to Florence to stay together and have on last weekend together before we all venture home this upcoming week. This was a fun way to end this experience having us all together for one last weekend reminiscing on our experience. We enjoyed staying together in a villa for Friday and Saturday and then Sunday we ventured into Florence and enjoyed the city. I had never been to Florence before so it was fun to walk around the city and see the difference in architecture to Milan. Unfortunately since it was Sunday a lot of stores were closed, but I still enjoyed the city and the different stores we stopped into. We had a group dinner at a great restaurant and then ventured home to have our last week in Milan.

Group photo of the girls in florence! Such a fun way to end the trip
The Florence Duomo. It was so cool to see the difference in architecture to the Milan Duomo
Brunch in Florence. We were in the mood for a classic American Brunch and enjoyed our eggs, french toast, and avocado toast
Enjoying the pool at our villa in Florence