Samuel Haft’s Blog Post #6: Week ending 7/01/2023

1) Academic Course on Corporate Social Responsibility

This past week we watched the movie Erin Brockovich and analyzed how it was linked to what we had talked about in class previously. It reminded me of the movie “A Civil Action” that we had watched before as it talked about lawyers taking on big corporations who had been guilty of causing harm to the local communities in the areas where they operated. Wednesday we did not have class and instead worked on finishing our final essays and presentations that are due on Monday, July 3rd. Our group has been making good progress towards finishing our essay and is now working on finishing up our presentation as well which will mark the end of our time with Professor Gupta in Milan.

(2) Practicum in Milan with an Italian Company

This week my boss was on a work trip to New York which meant that we would be working on a project remotely. I researched how Italian companies could optimize their supply chains to be as efficient as possible to help reduce costs and increase production times before writing a paper and presentation to submit at the end of the week. In the middle of the week we went with the other interns and another company employee to get pizza as a way of saying goodbye as this will likely be the last time we see them in person before I leave. I have enjoyed my time working at Gen-USA and am glad I was able to meet the people I did and gain valuable experience through my time with the company.

(3) Social and Cultural Immersion through travels in Italy and Europe

Last weekend I spent my time exploring Milan and getting to see parts of the city that I had never seen before. Even though I have been in Milan for 5+ Weeks I feel as though I’ve rarely been able to spend time visiting new places as most weekends I have been traveling around to different places around Italy. This weekend a big group rented a villa just north of Florence for our last weekend together in Italy. We have also planned a dinner in Florence at a nice restaurant known for their steaks that I went to a few weeks ago while I was in Florence before. It is crazy how fast time has flown by and that we are already nearing the end of our program in under a week.

Picture of Florence Duomo which I personally like more than the one in Milan
View from around the Villa