Fall Blog Post 1

1. What are the top three things you learned during your GSIF trip this summer?
    1. We can’t have CHWs charge women for screening. This was crucial for our venture and its success because we need to keep it self sustaining.
    2. How to work effectively with my team. I became extremely familiar with peoples strengths and weaknesses which allowed for better collaboration. We spent so many of the hours of the day together, I’m surprised we didn’t end up killing each other at the end. I did learn a lot about friendship too, and how we all had such varying experiences at Lehigh but yet found so much common ground.
    3. I learned a lot about priorities and how they truly do matter if you want to get someones attention or help with something. You must present yourself and your needs in a certain way that will allow others to want to help you.
  2. How did the GSIF trip facilitate your professional development?
    1. I think it contributed to my leadership skills. People often came to me for advice or guidance on how to go about issues, whether it related to their team dynamic or logistical problems within their project. Having past experience in Sierra Leone, I felt I was able to provide people with help to the best of my knowledge.
    2. The trip pushed me to engage and network with many different types of people–some illiterate, some old and young. Networking is everything now and days and I think it was an excellent skill for me to work on especially because I will be entering the work force soon.
    3. I learned how to hire an employee at the age of 21! Who can say they did that? I helped develop an employee contract, find transportation and job materials and train him to ensure he does a proper/effective job.
  3. How did the GSIF trip help you grow personally?
    1. I learned to become a more patient person. I realized that my expectations for how things are going to work, run or move often do not meet reality. Being in a different context and working extremely close with someone not from the US really allowed me to explore this and forced me to work through  the frustration I often felt.
    2. Not take things personally. Things change quickly and expectations aren’t always met. Don’t take it out on yourself or things too close to heart because they can change in an instant.
    3. Be confident in what you know. Take responsibility for what you’ve done and what you are trying to do. If you don’t believe in what you are doing, it won’t work and you can fall in a downward spiral of negative thinking and doubt.

One thought on “Fall Blog Post 1”

1. Hi Cassidy,
    You explain a great range of insights – from those specific to your project to personal and professional. The more you can connect your takeaways to specific experiences – for example a certain piece of advice you were able to provide – and to resulting implications for this and other projects the better. Overall, good work!
    -Lauren