1. Give three compelling examples of how cultural issues affect your project. 

One of the first cultural issues I believe my group will face is the language barrier. Although we will most likely have translators I feel like it will label us as being ignorant or unknowledgeable Americans. I believe that the Kazakhs might think if they can not even speak our language how do we trust them to know what to do. I do not know if you will understand my explanation but, this is just a reoccurring thought in my mind. I think knowing the same language helps you connect better with people. There is usually an instant connection when someone speaks your language. Then, the second social issue my group might encounter is the issue of formality and informality. After reading many articles about the culture and traditions of Kazakhstan I recognize the difference in personalities between Americans and Kazakhs. I understand that in Kazakhstan culture there is a higher level of respect people treat each other with and a certain degree of formality. For instance, college students in Kazakhstan dress formally for class and try to present people with pristine images of themselves. In contrast, US college students like myself do not and we also are more carefree. I hope to avoid this difference by treating everyone I meet in a respectable way and with great hospitality. The last social issue is our different perspectives on social interactions. I feel like Americans are more social and open to people. We believe anyone can be our friend and we are not afraid to talk about ourselves. On the other hand, the people of Kazakhstan are more reserved with their social interactions. This could be a social issue because we have to respect certain boundaries and understand how to interact without being impolite. Overall I believe these social issues are mainly derived from being foreigners especially, being Americans. 

1. Have you experienced or observed any of these social situations at home? Describe at least three such situations. 

The main social issue that would occur in my family is the language barrier. Before my parents completely learned to speak English I would often be the translator. I really enjoyed the task as a ten-year-old. I would often have to tell my mom or dad what the doctor, my teachers, and even what car salesmen would say. I feel like this would make my parents more reluctant to communicate with people. For instance, in the two times, I moved my family did not talk much to our neighbors because they did not speak Spanish. My parents were shy but the situation would likely be different if my neighbors were Mexican and spoke perfect Spanish. The next situation would be the difference in behavior between cultures. In Mexican culture, it is important to respect your elders especially your parents. You always need to treat them with respect and kindness. However, this is not always the same with Americans. My parents would see completely different interactions between my American friends and their parents.  They would often question me about their interactions and I would always answer “because they are American”. It sounds like a subjective answer but it was the easiest way for my parents to understand. Lastly, is the difference in religion. My parents were born in Mexico so their view on religion is strong. They are pious Catholics who go to church every week. Evidently, they might see people differently if they do not share similar thoughts about religion. 

1. Give three examples of cultural practices that can be leveraged to addressed community/market problems

One example could be the hostility many cultures believe is important. This could help markets become more open and diverse since people will be communicating with respectfulness. Another example could be the way many Native American groups care for the environment. They feel like they have a duty to protect the earth. If this practice became global it would impact markets greatly. We would be stimulating the economy and formulating business ideas while still putting the environment into thought too. Lastly, it would-be Americans and their thoughts about time. Americans believe that time is money and we try to be punctual. Managing time correctly could help markets be more efficient and organized.