Blog Post #4

1. List ten things that make you feel human:
    1. Communication with others
    2. Ability to learn things
    3. Ability to quickly adapt to my surroundings
    4. Being able to care for others
    5. Being able to feel empathy
    6. Ability to make mistakes and learn from them
    7. Ability to affect things and people around me
    8. Ability to teach other people things
    9. Ability to create goals and perform the necessary steps to achieve that goal
    10. Ability to change the way that people view me or think of me based on certain aspects of my life.
  1. Articulate your philosophy of engagement as it pertains to your work with the GSIF:
    1. I choose to engage in GSIF because the program stood out to me over any other one offered at Lehigh, despite the extra workload that it would entail. GSIF allows me to learn about the impact that can be made from the start of a single project and has also given examples of how to make that impact last further than our time with the project. My engagement with this project has to be hands-on just as much as I should be able to stand back and listen to both to the needs to the consumers and others who might have valuable input about our projects. My hands-on engagement would be going to clinics to interview women who are pregnant or have already given birth and asking them about their experience and if they choose to do any sort of cultural birthing practice and their reason for choosing to do so. I must also engage with doctors and other teams who will give me more information about the birthing practices that are common in this area of the Philippines.
      A challenge in this project can come from mothers and them not wanting to be vulnerable around our team and share their experience of birth or their plan for their birth. A way to overcome this challenge could be to become vulnerable around them ourselves, people are more open to sharing with someone who shares with them. Being able to get first-hand information from mothers would move the project along. Another challenge could be catering to the needs of these women while taking their safety into consideration. Being able to interview women would give us insight into what typically goes wrong during their births and as a team we could come up with ways our table can help prevent those things from going wrong once again. My epitaph would read the world was so much bigger than she was but still she strived for change. My goal in life is to change as many lives as possibles for the better and GSIF brings me one step closer to beginning this goal.