Blog 5- Feeling Human

1) List 10 things that make you feel human
* Interactions with other people
* Taking on challenges, especially exploring new topics and gaining new skills
* Connecting with nature and exploring natural areas
* Feelings of joy, fear, love, sadness, excitement, and empathy
* Failures
* Having opportunity to help others
* Trying to have a positive impact on the world around me
* Art in all forms; books, paintings, music, movies, etc.
* Shared experiences with other people
* Meditation and practiced purposefulness

2) Articulate your philosophy of engagement as it pertains to your work with GSIF

In all aspects of my personal, professional, and academic life, I believe that one-on-one, individualized engagement and communication is essential to success. By connecting with people at an individual level, it is possible to built trust, foster relationships, and create progressive solutions. These relationships and one-on-one interactions are a fundamental aspect of building a successful project and creating tangible impact. As projects grow and the relevant population expands, engagement must also grow and it is often not possible to have the same level of engagement with all impacted or involved individuals. However, having that foundation of individual engagements can help center a project and serve as a reminder of the ‘why’ behind any work being done. At the end of the day, the goal of the human centered work is to have a positive impact on an individual level.

I believe that the same philosophy and principles of individualized engagement are applicable to the Air Quality Almaty project and objectives. Recognizing that individual behavioral change is a difficult thing to impact, having personal connections will be essential for success.

While we may not be able to reach every individual in Almaty, engaging with individuals with diverse backgrounds, daily routines, and personal needs will help us to gain a better picture of the needs of the city as a whole. Conducting individual surveys and interviews will help us ensure that we are meeting these needs with our project and developing a solution with the community members rather than developing a solution for the community members.

I have had the opportunity to work on projects in many countries around the world and areas across the United States. Throughout my previous work, I have collaborated with a wide variety of companies, NGOs, community organizations, and individuals. While each type of group contributes a unique perspective and an important component of the project. However, it is consistently the one-on-one engagements that have create the most significant impact and provided the ‘light-bulb’ moments.

3) What might my epitaph read?

“ A life well lived”