Week 1 (8/27) Reflecting on Fieldwork

Blog 1 Sept. 1st, 2019

Three things I learned during fieldwork:

1. This summer, I learned how to be a better communicator in a legal, fundraising, and team sense. I was primarily responsible for drawing up two employee contracts, one in the mobilizer stage and one in the distribution and training stage. This was one of the most technically challenging pieces of writing I have ever done because I had to be in accordance with WHI policies as well as Ukweli’s larger dream for Hassan. It was difficult writing external documents that would be signed by the Sierra Leone country director and other higher-ups. I also learned how to pitch our project to donors and other people not involved in the operations but rather the fundraising side of things. I had to pitch our project a different way for the crowdfunding effort because those stakeholders cared more about broadband impact. Finally, and most importantly, I learned to be a good teammate to Hassan this summer. While I worked with him last year, that was much more of a translating gig and he was less an integral part to the team but that all changed this summer. Listening to Hassan’s different style of communication was challenging at first but I am a better teammate because I can understand him well.
  2. I learned to have a longer, more systemic view of things. I am a very emotional person and I tend to believe the last thing that was said to me when it comes to touchy issues of resource distribution. Rohan and Jordan came back from Mateboi and shared a perspective with us that startled me at first. They spoke with a Peace Corps volunteer who said many PHUs were corrupt and charging for healthcare which made me viscerally angry. We heard the other side from Khanjan which leveled my emotions out, and I realized how valuable it is to understand that multiple perspectives may be right. I was reminded of that old trope of blind men describing an elephant by touching different parts of it. I learned that having a long view on these problems can help curb these emotional responses.
  3. Finally, I learned to trust my gut and question authority during fieldwork. In my 1+ years on Ukweli, I’ve become complacent in some ethical topics but fieldwork challenged me to rethink some of my own fundamental assumptions and act for the good of the project rather than prestige for Lehigh. I believe that there is value in questioning authority intelligently, even if it leads to unfortunate consequences for me personally. I realized how much I care about the success of the project, not just the publication rate or how it looks on my resume. This lead to a lot of hard conversations that Jordan, Cassidy, and I had to spearhead but our project is stronger because of it. I’m glad I got my risk-taking sense back in me and let some complacency go.

Three things I learned professionally:

1. I learned how to not take every single thing personally that people say and have a long view about what really matters in the world. I think back to a book my therapist told me to read in high school called “The Four Agreements”. I forget the author and if I ever actually read the book, but the four agreements are to be impeccable with your word, don’t take anything personally, don’t make assumptions, and always do your best. I really had to apply the second one because Sierra Leone is a semi hierarchic culture where everyone is blunt with you when they need something. There is a sense of urgency and coolness that I don’t feel in US culture and it was valuable for me to learn those skills for future professional situations abroad. I also had a long talk with the Safe Motherhood team about how Ukweli was undermining some of their work at the clinics, and we were only able to come to an understanding because I removed my ego from the situation. We ended up working well together after that, so it was a success in not taking their feelings personally.
  2. I learned the importance of professional consistency and always being on my game. We worked seven days a week in Sierra Leone and no team members could afford an off day. I also applied this to performing good data analytics.
  3. I learned how to listen to colleagues and to value their input rather than assuming everyone is happy. This came in handy with inter-team communication and checking up on my teammates.

Three things I learned personally:

1. I personally learned that the people you work with and see everyday are 100% more important than any authority figures. These are the relationships I need to think about and remember who I value connections with.
  2. Assuming I know what is going on is usually a mistake. Read the room and stay sensitive. Never any perfect days.
  3. Anger makes me powerful but it is not a side I like of myself. I cannot allow myself to be hardened by the world. I need to find a balance between being practical and being emotionally vulnerable because there is power in both approaches.

One thought on “Week 1 (8/27) Reflecting on Fieldwork

1. Hi Sage,
    Your post demonstrates that you were really thinking deeply about your experiences and how they will inform your work going forward. Great use of detailed and specific insights.
    -Lauren