Bella Marino’s Blog Post #5: Week Ending in 6/24/23

This past weekend Emily, Sophia, Ava, and I went to Paris to walk around the city. We each had different things we wanted to see so we really got a lay of the land visiting each monument. Our first day we went to the Louvre and got lost in there for about 3 and a half hours as each exit sign led us to another exhibit. I was so excited to see art pieces I had studied in high school in AP Art History and led us around with my notes from the class. It was really interesting to read the stories and details put into each of the sculptures and paintings. After the Louvre we got in line for the iconic hot chocolate from Café Angelina. It was so rich I almost did not finish it. That night we went to dinner and then to watch the Eiffel Tower sparkle. Because it was the last time it sparkled for the night, as soon as the lights went the sprinklers turned on and everyone was scrambling to not get wet. It was like a scene from a movie. The second day we walked to Cedric Grolet Opera, another iconic bakery for breakfast. Emily and I split a huge orange blossom cream filled cake and then just for fun we went to the Starbucks that has fresco painted ceilings and walls. We walked off our pastries on the way to Sacre Cœur Basilica as it was a steep incline which Lehigh’s South Mountain campus prepared us for. The markets and shops around that area smelled so good that it was hard to keep walking past. The basilica looked like a small Tajh Mahal and had a overlook of the entire city. We then ventured to the Arc de Triomphe and debated whether to skip the line and just run across the largest roundabout in Europe but ended up walking back to our hostel along the Seine River. The vendors sold Art Nouveau posters and old books and I ended up buying at least one at each stall.

This week in class we recapped the movie we watched last class about a lawsuit. We discussed some questions about what more could have been done in the case’s situation with corporate social responsibility and ESG. One assignment was to read a case study on Apple’s CSR and having a group debate on what Apple could change about working conditions in their suppliers’ factories. One side took the point that Apple should have different standards for each country they are manufacturing in and the other was to have standard conditions across the board for all of the different countries. It was interesting to see the pros and cons of both sides and what could be done to change these conditions.

At Giuba 80 this week, I was tasked with inputting more TPIs on the excel sheet for Prénatal, which are the tactical sheets for each item of clothing in the collection. I took detailed catalog pictures of new autobody shop jumpsuits and jackets for Magneti Marelli. I packaged those into a parcel, as well as some medical masks for a dentist nearby from leftover COVID inventory. I also was taught the bookkeeping process for the upcoming winter season of children’s clothes and added some items to the collection. After work I had lunch with my coworker, Michela, at a local café and walked in a park nearby. She recommended a very nice bakery near the Duomo by Iginio Massari and I could not believe I passed it up twice a day. I pass through Piazza del Duomo to and from work so Emily and I decided to try it on our way home and met in the metro. We also ran into Professor Gupta who was shopping for mangoes, and he joined us on our journey to try some of the candies the bakery makes.

Some of the posters at the stalls by the Seine; a lot being funny versions of the Mona Lisa.

The Eiffel Tower before sparkling for the last time of the night.

Me floored that this whole plate cost only 7 euros.

The Seine River at the end of the day filled with people.

Went to the fancy Starbucks to eat our desserts from Cedric Grolet’s bakery.

Emily and Sophia in front of The Raft of The Medusa at the Louvre.